Profile picture for kunal2mishra

Exterior Improvements to the house

Is it smart to replace the existing Vinyl siding in the front face of the house with brick. I think I can get a decent estimate in my budget, may be around 5k-6K. Do buyers prefer brick fronts. Also the house has a porch so on the 1st flr the house will have a porch with the bricks that will continue to the top floor.
  • September 27 2012 - The Heights
  • 0

I'm very active in Hoboken and Jersey City, including the Heights.  $5k - $6k for a brick facade may well be worth the investment as long as your overall plan for the home makes sense. 

For instance if you purchased the home at a very reasonable amount or below market as a short sale or foreclosure your ultimate resale value may be higher then your total investment into the home.

One should have a good estimate of their total costs and have a good understanding of the after improvement resale value in the current market place.  This way you can make smart decisions based on your goals.

Buying is an emotional experience.  What a buyer feels when they first see a home (good or bad) is critical on whether or not they will buy that home.  As most here have stated, curb appeal is generally where this starts so an investment here can make sound sense!

Profile picture for kunal2mishra

I am located in Jersey City Heights, most of the houses on the block are old with Vinyl Sidings. However the new ones offcourse have a brick front. What I am understanding from all the replies is that the real estate agent can give me a better idea of a value of my buck invesated for this upgrade. But who can I consult who can tell me "Oh the brick will not give an appeal to your house - I suggest give it a new paint and you are all set" The contractor I have hired will be happy to do the brick work as he gets paid.

What are the other properties in your area like? The brick may appeal to some buyers and make a quick sale but may not be a good return on your investment. Are there alternatives to make more appeal. A coat of paint, pressure wash or landscaping? Are you the only half vinyl in the neighborhood ? Look at the houses that sold recently and see how they compare to yours. It may or may not be worth it.

I do not know your neighborhood and what the rest of homes look like, so I do not know what to tell you.  But....if you contact two or three listing agents they could probably tell you the impact that the $5,000-$6,000 investment will have on the price of the property. As important as the facade of the house is the landscaping, maybe investing on a professional landscaping may add more value to the property. 

...brick...

My clients all prefer brick, especially when it comes to vinyl or stucco. But you should contact a local real estate agent, to see if the investment is necessary. If you have a high number of competing homes this might be a plus to get your home sold faster, if the inventory is low anyhow I would not change the siding unless your current siding needs to be replaced.

Alexandra

Curb appeal is always important and yo get a pay back for it. Brick/stone is richer than siding any day. Make sure you do not over improve for the subdivision.