Profile picture for SarahThomas1

FHA Loan guidelines

I'm trying to get an FHA Loan and I had the appraisal done and the septic and drain field are less than 100 ft apart, however the lot is only 118 ft wide and they both have to be 10 ft from the property line.  Is there any exceptions to this rule?  How can I make this work?
  • April 02 2012 - Lawrenceville

I am confused, the septic tank and drain field are often adjacent.  I have a septic and my drain field is 20 feet from the tank.  Are saying that the well is too close to the drain field?  Wells need to be 50' from tank and 100' from drain field.

Profile picture for SarahThomas1
Yes. I meant the well and drainfield

Profile picture for Appraisal guy
Go conventional,but this is a safety issue. You really don't want to drink your sewer waste, do you? This is the reason why FHA has this rule.

Profile picture for SarahThomas1
Conventional will cost me another 8K down and at least half a percent more interest?

Profile picture for Appraisal guy
Try and call the FHA HUD center and see if you can find any outs. One time I appraised a home when the spring water (hand dug well) was too close to the well. As it turned out, FHA could make an exception, if they followed protocall. An appraiser or a professional will not know this is most cases, so try to call them and speak to someone. You may get lucky.