FHA Qualification question

I bought my home in 2008 with a FHA loan.  In 2010 I entered into a modification program which allowed for lower monthly payments for a period of 4 months, resulting in an interest rate reduction.  I have 5 months of late payments on my credit history for my mortgage during the time I was making lower payments for the modification.  I have not had a late payment on mortgage since then.  Fast forward to 2012, I relocated for my job and am now renting my home.  I want to purchase another home in the area that I am living in now. 

My middle credit score is a 608.  I have a tax lien on my credit that was improper and am in the process of getting that removed.  The lien was withdrawn and vacated.    Other than the tax lien, I do not have any other late payments on my credit.

I have three questions: Can I qualify for another FHA loan?   How will the late mortgage payments affect my ability to get financing?  How will removal of the tax lien affect my credit?
  • April 06 2012 - Atlanta
  • 0

The best way to find out how this will impact your ability to get a loan would be to contact a mortgage broker who specializes in FHA loans and does them every day. They will be able to look at your specific information and determine what you may qualify for.

Can I qualify for another FHA loan?
  From what you laid out here, as long as your income enough & liquid assets (cash &/or stocks, bonds, IRA's, 401k) & you can prove the tax lien is no longer in effect, you should be able to qualify.
How will the late mortgage payments affect my ability to get financing?
  If they are over two years old, you should be fine.
How will removal of the tax lien affect my credit? 
  Removing the incorrect tax lien from your credit report should improve your scores. Be sure it it removed from your credit report. If it shows as "satisfied", your scores may actually go down before they start to improve.

Hope that helps.  Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help you with any other questions.

Ros

Roswell Moore, CMPS
Certified Mortgage Planner

I would speak with a qualified loan officer to help and see what you may need to do in case you cannot be pre-qualified for a loan. I can recommend a great one if you need. She is responsive and always looks to educate within the loan process. If you would like I would be happy to give you her contact information.

Tyler Willis, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta