Profile picture for qstrachan

FHA Spot Approval?!?

This weekend, I went on a home tour with my realtor and found a condo that I really like.  Bad news...the developers who built the condos 2 yrs ago didn't get the complex FHA approved.  Now, sellers in the complex (roughly 5 units available) are outraged because their units aren't selling because 99% of buyers are with FHA...such as myself.

My realtor told me to talk to my mortgage lender about spot approval.  I plan to talk to them on Monday.

Is this process difficult?  Does it cost extra?  Is it guaranteed?  OR, should I just walk away and look at other listings that are FHA approved.

May 03 2009 - US

No, the process is not difficult.

The condo association may charge to fill out the certification.  It's relatively inexpensive.

No, its not guaranteed.

I would get with your lender and go for the approval.  Should not be a problem as long as 70% of the units are owner-occupied and not rented. 

Are they telling you there may be issues with getting the complex approved?  I would think the listing agents would have run into this already and may have the answer.

For an FHA spot approval on condos where the total number of units in the complex is more than 30, no more than 10% of all the units can have an FHA mortgage. For complexes where there are 30 or less units, no more than 20% of all the units can have an FHA mortgage.

Talk to your loan originator about a "spot loan".  Here's the FHA letter giving a checklist of what needs to be satisfied which you can give to your loan originator:

http://portal.hud.gov/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/FHA_HOME/LENDERS/MORTGAGEE_LETTERS/1996_MORTGAGEE_LETTERS/96-41ML.TXT

As Bob mentioned, I would think some other listing agents have dealt with this issue so I would ask around first before diving into the "spot loan".

Good luck.

VA home loan with bad credit
Profile picture for lewisharry lending
Latest reply by lewisharry lending
FHA and Non-Occupying Co Borrower
Profile picture for 216paluchfamily
Latest reply by 216paluchfamily
August 12 | 13 answers
Still can't get a VA loan after we both have 620+ scores
Profile picture for Jimmy Vercellino
Latest reply by Jimmy Vercellino
August 06 | 8 answers
Can I have two VA loan at once?
Profile picture for Paul Collier
Latest reply by Paul Collier
August 04 | 16 answers
WHat are the Minimum Credit Scores Required for FHA Loans
Profile picture for Paul Collier
Latest reply by Paul Collier
August 04 | 35 answers