Profile picture for theddy

FHA case number I thought i got it. The lender told me. Should i believe in him?

I finally chose a lender. Last Friday was crunch time. But my lender told me no problem he will get a new FHA Case number that day. I called later that afternoon he said he got it. Yesterday we talked he said he got it. Today we talked he said he got it. Told him to send us a copy he sent an email asking us to call him about it. My wife called him and he told her he didn't get it. Asked him why he didn't tell us in the several times we talked and asked  he told us "I thought i got it" but i didn't.

Now he is calling the first lender who gave us a quote (Rick) because he said they got it.

Should i believe him? Don't know if i can trust him. Is it even possible to just think that you got it? How does FHA case number work? What will happen next now that the FHA changes has taken effect?

I'm finding it so hard to find a trustworthy lender now a days.

• October 05 2010 - Pahrump
  • 0

HAHAHAHAHA  TOO FUNNY!!!  This is so true.  Two bum lenders and are they still loan officers?  I hope not!  This is true.  The home already has a case number and to assign it from the old lender to the new is only as good as the person who can follow up and get the number from the old lender to the new.  I have a pit bull working for me and she generally can get a case number assigned in one no more than two days!  She is relentless and has been my processor for 6 years!  I recommend anyone who is in this industry and has FHA questions to follow Cathy Lewis.  She writes the Mortgage Letters and has outstanding educational tools to help you grow in your business.  Best of luck to everyone!!!

What is the problem? If a lender has an FHA case # why would you go with someone that doesn't?  Particularly if the lender that doesn't gave you misleading information multiple times.

The old lender requested the case number. They may get it immediately or may have to wait 24 hrs due to duplicate address or some other potential error. Either way, it was assigned so now it is in that company's name.

Once you start with a new lender, they have to request the case number to be reassigned to their company. Usually this takes a little longer because the original lender drags their feet. I believe they are supposed to have a maximum time frame to do this but nothing is ever enforced.

Your new lender probably tried to order the case number through his processor and figured it was done until he found out it was already assigned to a different lender. Thats why he said he thought he had it but he really had no idea. Now he has to try and get it from your first lender.

"Is it possible not to know you got it?"

Umm ... NO! The transfer is a process, it's not done through osmosis. You would know if you did it or not. At minimum, you would request that the previous lender do it. Worst case scenario, one would expect that a loan officer would know that it needed to be done. 

Ask your lender this question: "How many FHA loans have you closed?"

Profile picture for theddy
@HUGD

yes that is what i'm thinking too. My problem is why does he need to lie? instead of just telling us that the old lender already took the FHA case number and he just needs to get it. Maybe he wants to be a hero that he was able to take care of the case number. And now i think he is still waiting for it and he's just making stories. 

Is it possible not to know you got it?

thanks

Your new lender is as stupid as your old lender. You already had a case number from before. Unless you changed properties, you already have a case number. I seriously hope you just misunderstood this new person because if not, you did no better than the last one you had. The case number follows the property, it does not matter what lender you use.