Profile picture for AussieTX

FHA or HUD New Construction Requirements

To start:
1.  I current own .83 acres with a well and electrical service
2.  Can't get qualified for a new interim construction loan.
3.  My uncle is going to loan me the money for the new construction which I plan to pay off by converting this new construction into a first time mortgage.
4.  My plans are to start small by just building only what I need keeping expenses small and construction to a minimum.
What are the minimum building requirements? I've heard 2 bedrooms & 1 1/2 baths?  Minimum square feet? All else considered septic, kitchen, etc...

This has been a 2 year in the works project.  The phase #1 will be a guest house eventually for my parents as they retire.  For the next 4-5 years this will be the primary building.
  • February 18 2012 - South Manchaca
  • 0

I would recommend that first you speak with a mortgage lender who will be able to forward the FHA and HUD building guidelines to you.  I recommend John Schutze in Austin, TX [edited content for contact information, please refer to good neighbor policy]

I would recommend that first you speak with a mortgage lender who will be able to forward the FHA and HUD building guidelines to you.

and my recommendation is you ignore some #### who can't answer a simple question and posts a billboard instead.

in terms of beds, baths, etc FHA does not have a minimum room count, same for squ ft though some lenders may be hesitant on homes less than 600 to 900 sq ft.

a simple google search will get you the information:

try these:
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh/4150.2

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh

for the most part it looks like hud will accept anything that will pass your local building requirements ant that is marketable (normal and customary, has comperables)

Dephanie - as an FYI -  seems as though those sale reps are not explaining the rules to their new "premier agents"..

.Zillow does not allow any contact information in the body of a response...it's a huge no-no here, and against their Good Neighbor Policy!!

A zillow moderator will most likely come along and delete it.........unless they're giving a free ride to the  premier agents!

Check  out the GNP to the right for clarification..

Profile picture for AussieTX
Awesome thanks for the info...Archie found those documents online but nothing specifically that answered my questions.  Will contact my preferred mortgage lender to get the details.