Profile picture for palmerunderwater

FSBO attorney recommendation in los angeles

I'm selling my condo via FSBO in Los Angeles.  Can anyone recommend a real estate attorney that can guide me through this?

August 13 2013 - Palms

I have several attorney's I can recommend along with a special free report on FSBO. in Los Angeles. Contact me if you still need help.

I am a former small business owner who is going to be selling our mortgage free home FSBO. The 6% commission would be around 42k. Why should the amount of commission be based on the value of my home? A real estate agent/broker should work just as hard for you whether your home is worth 100k or 700k. The fact that a realtor has to give approx. half the commission to their broker is not benefiting me. Only their system... In both home property transactions I had before finally deciding to go FSBO on this one, the real estate agents were definitely not looking out for my families best interest. The first represented both us as the buyers and the sellers without disclosing her longtime friendship to the sellers. And the second agent did not get us the best price on the REO because it would have cost her some commission. She accidentally gave us a fact sheet on the home when I asked for more details, that included her extra commissions for selling the REO. I have a great real estate attorney and great accountant on my team. Not only are there great FSBO websites, but since we will be using the proceeds to reinvest in real estate, I want to know all the nuts and bolts about every aspect of selling and buying properties. We also own (no mortgage) a store and apartment commercial property that I will be selling FSBO. That commission would be around 72k at 6%!!! No Thank You... When I do list the home on a FSBO website, the most we are willing to allow the buyer agent would be 1%. Anything after that will have to come from the buyer. I am studying and testing on Real Estate Principles and will be following up with Real Estate Practices. The Real Estate license examination is based upon both of these books and the third is an elective. Property management will probably be my third. I will not be going for my real estate license, because you cannot be licensed unless you work for a broker (give up half your commission) for at least two years.

Unfortunately I don't have a referral for you. When I need a lawyer I have contacted the State Bar Association and looked under the specialty fields.

Why would you choose to sell FSBO when you can hire a professional and likely make more money even after the commission you'd pay?

There are many benefits of having a real estate agent working on your behalf.  Even real estate agents who are selling their homes utilize the MLS and/or an agent of their own... and they KNOW the business better than you I'd venture to guess.

Something to consider.  Good luck.

Honestly, this is better accomplished by an old timer in real estate such as a broker for a flat fee or agreed percentage of sale representing your true interest with experience in what he does best full time year and year, on a daily basis vs. an attorney who will keep billing for his time and perhaps is unfamiliar with the area within which the property is located. Also how could he price your property without sales experience and knowledge in your market area. Beside he may not be familiar with all the forms or even have access to the State mandated forms available to broker via C.A.R. California Association of Realtors all agents and brokers use for the purpose of buying and selling real estate on a daily basis for their clients.

Profile picture for homecoin
There are also some very powerful real estate specific websites available that can guide you through this FSBO process and provide the required real estate contracts/disclosures (including online guidance to complete them) and marketing tools you need.

You can save more money with these FSBO websites than by hiring an attorney and the process is going to be more accurate. The websites have database driven transactions which actually show you your contractual obligations in real time and the status of the obligations - all based on what you agreed to in the contract. 

homecoin
CA BRE # 01888948