Profile picture for GordonHughes4

FSBO - how much will it cost me to sell

August 15 2013 - Jonesboro

Like a few other agents have said we need more information to supply you with any useful information.  Any local agent should be able to work up a net sheet for you as fees are area specific.  If you need any help finding a reliable local agent please let me know as we have many contacts around the country.  Best of luck :)

We have great local market and sellers often want to try the limited services real estate agencies or FSBO. Fist and foremost if I am going to show your home to my pre qualified buyers I will ask for 4-5% commission. Not to be cruel but I know if the other party is not represented by a real estate professional I will end up doing double the work for half the pay. Best of luck but if you really are motivated and want your home sold call some local agents and try negotiating.

Hi Gordon,
It depends where you live.  In my town, the seller pays closing costs including county transfer tax of .11% and city transfer tax of .2%. You will also be on the line for 3% commission to the buyer's agent, unless you are able to negotiate this with the buyer, which will depend on the desirability of your property and the real estate climate in your area. 
It's true that a listing agent will market your property for you in a number of outlets which takes time and money, and creating an MLS listing will expose your property to all the buyer's agents out there. 

I'm sure there are some great resources for how to successfully sell your property without a broker, so just do your homework and I'm sure you'll do fine.  If you decide it's taking too much of your time, and you want someone by your side who can negotiate the best price for you, hit me off list and I'll see if I know a good agent in your area. Having an agent with integrity who truly has your best interests at heart is essential, so I highly recommend you ask around before making a choice.

Good luck with everything... change is good!

Jen

Profile picture for hpvanc
Ask the local title/closing company you plan to use, it is state, specific and your local area may have additional fees and costs that they levee.

As to the Realtors® asserting that sellers typically get less without a Realtor® here are a couple of academic studies that contradict that claim:

Northwestern University: "The Relative Performance of Real Estate Marketing Platforms: MLS versus FSBOMadison.com"

Stanford University: "How Much Value do Real Estate Brokers Add?"

National Association of Realtors has a report that states that people who sell without a Realtor end up selling at 8-12% less than they would otherwise with the Realtor. So money off the table, is it worth it to do it yourself instead of the 3%?

Best of luck to you,
Liz

It will most likely 'cost' you more to list your home on your own than to list it with a Realtor. We are trained professionals with access to many platforms in which to get your home sold for the right price, and quickly. 

You may save the cost of a Realtor's service, but in most cases, you will get more for your home with the help of an experienced agent. Most, if not all, agents will meet with you to give you a consultation before agreeing to list your home with them. This will give you a better understanding of what the process entails and how much it will cost you. 

Hope this helps!
Nicole Gallagher

I would like to help but you will need to send me your information for your property, location etc.   If its located in California, I can help.  If not, find someone that lives within your proximity.

there is not enough information in your question to even begin any calculation of "cost to sell".  If you'd like an estimate of costs i would suggest talking to a local Realtor who will be able to give you the information