Profile picture for ChristieJoy6

Fair offer for home?

My husband and I are considering putting in an offer for a house that is listed at $65,000, comps have it between $50K and $60K, we were thinking of offering $58500 with assistance in closing costs of between $2K-$3K.

There have been no actual sales in the area in several months (3), but there are 3 pending and they are within the above range.

Is this a fair offer? I don't want to offend them. The listing agent said someone (a relative) already put in an offer for $50K and it was rejected.

Thank you in advance!

November 21 2013 - US

Offer the price  you think is fair, and be prepared to negotiate.  

If you are asking for closing costs, be recognize that sellers are aware "help with closing costs" decreases their net.   So,  $3,000 closing cost request means your offer is really $55,500 (an offer of 85%) and not a 58,500 offer.   (Asking for closing costs IMHO decreases the strength of your offer - but I'm a curmudgeon).

IT sounds like a fair offer. You should definitely try to submit your offer. Good luck!

Your offer is a net offer of between 55,500 and 56,500 have you spoken with your agent regarding your offer yet? The past sales prior to this time do you have data on sales price versus sold? This is a discussion to have with your agent and if you do not have one I would highly recommend you find a great agent here on Zillow.