Profile picture for ebann

Farewell for now

I think its only fair to let Zillow know that with the new changes I am unable to enjoy my experience and need to move on. I used Zillow for several hours a day and only in satellite view. Now that the choice has been removed for me to have a sidebar or satellite view Im making a choice to use Estately.com since they let me view the map the way I want and close the sidebar.

I dont use Zestimates so there is no loss there. Your big sidebar takes up a quarter of my 32" monitor and its obsurd. I really did enjoy my time on Zillow (except for getting forced to sign up for email updates on thousands of homes and having to go in one at a time and clear out. luckily I have good assistants haha).

Once I can select the map view I prefer and turn off or minimize the huge sidebar I may come back again, however I may just get used to the speedy fresh and modern Estately with all those nice big pictures and fast previews and lack of spam. Not to mention acres instead of sq feet!! 

• November 16 2012 - US
  • 1

I am glad that you took time to post. From what I have seen, Zillow does listen to consumer input, so I hope they listen to your suggestions.

Many walk away before they say their piece about why so thumbs to you for taking the time. I hope that you at least drop by now and then cause I hate see nice people go, but I do understand.

PS The lots in square feet drive me crazy too. My sf to acres calculator is bookmarked at this point.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
You still can select the satellite views for the maps throughout..., you just need a cookie manager/editor add-on for your browser.

In the Zillow "search" cookie value, find the word "map" and change it the "hybrid".

As for being "force" to sign up for E-mail updates on specific properties?  That has never been "required" even if saving favorites.  And if you do save favorites, you do have the option of opting out of the E-mails.

As for making the listings disappear and seeing only the icons on the map?  You could press "ctrl-+" to enlarge the display until the listings is force off the edge of the screen.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
How is this format?:

I set the display resolution way up, and then pressed ctrl-- to zoom way out.

Profile picture for ebann
Looks like I'm back! 

ZIllow finally updated and put the map selection button back. The side bar is still huge but can I can deal. It would be great if it could be minimized.

@Pasadenan I did the cookie fix before I posted my original message but it eventually stopped working could not be fixed again. As for the email, I know I can opt out, but its a pain having to individually go in and opt out of every single home one at a time over and over and over. It re-opts me in with every new favorite added and then i have to root through all my pages to find it and click off email alerts. It would be nice if there was a blanket kill switch but there isnt. The best part is even though I have spent the time to click off email updates on hundreds of homes Zillow is "kind" enough to randomly turn back on "Get Price & Status Changes" every time the site updates and I have to go back through and turn them all off one page at a time.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
The cookie editing was still working for me up through last week.  But with the button being added back a little over a week ago, I no longer needed to manually edit that cookie anymore anyway.

I'm enjoying the region drawing button that they added this week, but I still haven't drawing the "climate zone" across the United States that I'm interested in.

Profile picture for ebann
I like the zoom trick. works good to shrink that big ugly sidebar but sadly zillows code is rough and it renders poorly (10-20 seconds a page load). ie is the only browser that has decent performance (and better features that other browsers dont get). Im not going to play browser pong though. its 2013, devs need to learn to install more than one browser when they test. Now the side bar is even bigger. its obsurd! it takes up 1/2 the screen for stupid feature people dont use.