Financed by owner

Let's say I provide the financing to sell my house and take the entire gain this year on my taxes.  The future payments, I would simply pay taxes on the interest.  My question, if I need to repossess the house, is there a way to recover the taxes I paid on the gain?  I realize my option is to file taxes as an installment sale and pay taxes on the gain each year.  The big unknown is the tax rate in the future.
  • December 04 2012 - McPherson
  • 0

We can not provide you with that type of advice, kindly contact your accountant.

You should review this with your CPA, or call the IRS (www.irs.gov).

Licensed real estate professionals, unless they are a CPA, are very unqualified to answer your question above. It's akin to asking us about heart surgery, that is not our area of expertise. That is a question best asked of your tax professional as everyone has their own unique tax situations and no stranger and unqualified tax person should be attempting to answer your question.