Finding a realtor

How can I find a good realtor in GA that is willing to do some work? My husband and I live in AZ and want to move to GA and we don't have a certain city we want to live in any part will do, but every realtor I talk to says I only work in this area and wont search for homes in other areas for us so the list keeps coming back super small....
  • December 06 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
If you're coming from AZ then the humidity in GA is going to kill you the first couple of summers...

Plug in an address to search for crime:

http://www.crimemapping.com

that's what I mean we have no preference on where we live the only thing that matters to us is crime levels and there are a lot of parts that have low crime. I have been searching and researching areas and we have found houses and areas that we really would like to live in, but they are spread out threw out GA I just need a realtor who will help me with the houses I have found, looking them up and giving me info and someone who can go to the house/s when it's time for the inspection and so on they don't have to personally know the area or anything else.

It may be premature to contact agents as you've not narrowed your search beyond state boundaries. 

Have you done some exploring in Georgia?   Do you know what appeals and what doesn't?   Do you need a big city, or prefer tiny town?  Do you need gourmet restaurants and the opera, or do you think a MacDonald's within 50 miles and a grocery store also within 50 miles is perfect.  Do you want water or hate water?   Why do you think you want to live in Georgia?   What do you think of the summer weather? 

I'd recommend flying to Georgia and spending several weeks narrowing down your areas of interest.  Once you've done this, then it may be appropriate to contact agents.  Or, it may be more appropriate to rent for a while to confirm that you really want to live in your chosen community.

Profile picture for Dan Mancini
There are several websites that specialize in educating consumers who are searching for homes and communities that will fit their lifestyle. Zillow, for example, can offer you home value estimates in certain areas, which will assist you in determining the cities or counties that will fit your financial needs. From there, you can look through the city and county websites, which will assist you in further narrowing down your search. Finally, check out Yelp in order to locate restaurants, nightlife activities and attractions in different areas.

Any good Realtor should be willing to do some work for you as long as you approach them as a qualified buyer who has some kind of idea of what you are looking for. Any bit of work that you can do in order to discover your needs and wants will enable a qualified agent to work with you and help you reach your goals. Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for!

I agree with Chas Carron's post regarding finding the best advice from an agent that knows the area. However, one possible way to have a realtor "work for you" in terms of different areas across a single state is to find an area that you think you might like. Work with an agent or two, and if you like the way they work but don't think the area is going to be for you, ask them to refer you to an agent in another area that you think you might like. A good agent, will refer you to someone they feel will work well with you and for you as there are typically referral fee agreements between agents so it behooves them to refer you to someone they know or know of. In addition, if it works out for you and you are happy you will be more likely to refer people to the agents that you liked working with.

Profile picture for CCarron

You will get the best advice, assistance and representation from a real estate agent that knows the community.  I doubt there is any real estate agent that is familiar with all of Georgia.  When you say that any part of Georgia will do, do you mean you don't care if it's a small town or a large city?  That the cost of housing doesn't matter to you?  That you don't care if there are employment opportunities?  A major medical center in case you need care?  Perhaps you should think about your goals/priorities, then research Georgia cities and towns on the internet, before starting to look at houses?  If this was helpful please click the thumbs-up below.