Profile picture for Team Council

First Time Home Buyer (GA)--Credit 650--not much money down--Where do I begin to Find Lender?....

I don't have the best credit(650) and I really don't have much money to put down. Hoping I can qualify for the Georgia Dream Program (income may be too much). I've been researching lenders, but I feel totally overwhelmed by all of the lenders out here! How do I narrow them down? I just called one guy and he was at lunch...couldn't talk..didn't even ask for a call back number. Feeling like a really really small fish in an ocean!! 

May 29 - Kennesaw

There are areas of Cartersville and Emerson off 41 and down Cartersville highway that are elidgable for USDA financing. I work with Milton Hall at Homebridge financial in Kennesaw and this loan program allows for 100% financing with a minimum contribution from borrower of $1,000. Your credit score would also allow you to qualify. Feel free to contact me for more in formation and a list of home that qualify.  Regards, Ed Leany 912.552.3436 

July 10
Hi! I can see how you would be frustrated and overwhelmed! For GA Dream, the 1-2 person income limit is 69k and 79,500 for more. The program is only sometimes a good option in that closing costs and interest rates are usually higher. If the contract is not properly negotiated, you can end up with a big amount needed at closing out of pocket (even with the grant). There are other possibilities. I know you're in Kennesaw, but would you consider going a bit further north? There is an excellent program available that is true 100% financing. I suggest finding an agent that is very familiar with different programs. He/She will know what lenders know what programs. Also, you will likely be able to get a referral to a lender that will value your business!

June 05
That is not a bad score . If your FICO score when your credit is pulled by a lender is 650, you qualify for the FHA mortgage with 3.5% down on the loan. Most people will tell you to go and sit with a local lender. While you can do that, most quality lenders will be out of state . I have done numerous refinances and purchases all over the US so feel free to reach out if you need assistance.

you can search on here as explained below to see who is licensed in your state.

Good luck and best wishes!
-Scott

May 29

You are going to run accross all kinds of banks/lenders, but it isn't necessarily about the name of the bank but the loan office helping you out. If you can qualify for a VA or USDA loan, then you don't need a down payment. But if you used FHA (3.5% down) or convential (at least 5% down) then you will need to look into assistance. FHA will allow you to get a gift from family, but conventional will not (until you put down 5% of your own money). There are plenty of down payment assistance programs out there, but they can be a real pain and many lenders will not work with them. If you make good money, then take a month of two to save up and do it on your own. It will take that long anyways by the time you jump through all the down payment assistance hoops.

May 29
There are lots of helpful lenders on the Zillow marketplace, but you might try reaching out to Clay Branch. He should be able to help you get pointed in the right direction. I have found him to be honest and straightforward in his answers to people on Zillow. If he cannot help you directly, I would trust a referral to someone who can.

The Georgia dream program also has information on their website and they have a list of lenders by area that are familiar with the program that might help you get started.

May 29