Profile picture for karhoff 19

First time Home Buyer in Columbus Area

I am 24 years old, currently live in the DC area and moving to Columbus this year. I am looking to buy a home/condo and would just like some direction as to where to start. I currently have no debt and some savings built up. What are some ways I can improve my credit score and how soon do I have to be pre approved for a loan? What are some good questions to ask a real estate agent to know they have my best interests in mind?
  • March 08 2014 - Columbus
  • 0

You should choose a Realtor who you can relate to or who you can connect with. Its perfectly fine to interview more than one real estate agent. Don't feel obligated to work with the first person you meet. You do not need to sign a buyer agency agreement if you don't want to. This is a contract between you and the Realtor, but it is not a necessary part of the process.

You should choose a lender that is local to the Columbus area. Most experienced Realtors will have relationships with lenders they have worked with in the past. So you can ask a real estate agent to recommend a lender.

As stated a good lender is always a great start! So is a knowledgable real estate agent! As far as working with agent that has your best interests well start with a phone call and ask them question. As they will need to ask you questions, what type of area you want to live in (down town suburbs, country) whats your price range, how many beds and baths. How close to work do you want to be where are you working at. All sorts of things need to be asked! If you call an agent without a lender first we will ask generic lending questions, how much of a down payment do you have, how much do you make, what are your bills, credit score... the reason we ask this is so we know what lenders to point you to. I have a lender who is really good at getting people grants but those grants come with a slightly higher interest rate, where i have other lender who are really good at conventional loans! if you need to know anything else just inbox me. 

One of the first and essential steps to buying a home would be to speak with a lender that best fits your situation to get pre-qualified. Then when you do apply for a loan, lenders like myself will need to look at several different things if you are trying to prequalify for a loan. We will need to analyze your assets, credit, expenses, income, debt, employment, down payment, etc. Either way, the best thing for you to do is to speak with a knowledgeable lender to see if you can get started on financing a new home. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reach out. Good luck!