First time buyers

My husband and I have gotten pre approved for a VA loan in Dallas.  I have found 10 homes around the Dallas and Fort Worth area that we like.  We are looking to find a realtor to help us with this.  Anyone recommend someone or help us with this.  We are so lost at this point because this is the first time we are buying a house as my husband has been on active duty for so long.  Thank you
  • September 23 2013 - Coppell

Congratulations on looking at buying your first home- and thank you to your husband for his long dedicated work in the military !  I would ask friends or co-workers who recently bought a house who they would recommend and also check out Zillow for agents reviews from past clients- once you find an agent you can also goggle their names most agents are active on the internet in some form of capacity.

Best wishes!

[Off topic promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]

Happy to help you.  I live in Coppell and work if you would like to meet in my office first, I'd like to see the homes that interest you and see where we go from there.
We'll walk you through the process step by step and be there with you each step of the way.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Most agents, in spite of misrepresenting themselves with the term buyer's agent, are listed on the purchase contract as the Selling Agent, and compensated by sales commission as a sub-agent of the Listing Agent/Seller's Agent. Unfortunately most of them strongly self identify as salespeople and continue to act in a selling/sales capacity rather than a buying/purchasing capacity. If you buy an MLS listed house, you won't have to pay them, but the representation they provide is they sell you a house rather then represent you as a buyer.

The exceptions are:

1. if it is a FSBO property where the seller does not offer a commission, you will have to compensate your own agent if you want to use one (it can be a professional services fee instead of a sales commission)
2. some agents will offer you a partial rebate of sales commission in a simple transaction or one where you do some of the work typically done by an agent
3. if you go directly to the listing agent you can attempt to negotiate to lower the selling side commission in conjunction with a lower price (by law all commissions are negotiable)

Head to the library and read up on the process, then come back to the internet and continue your research before deciding how you want to proceed. After taking your time and researching thoroughly you will be prepared to look after your own interest with both agents and sellers. Your financial future is very much at stake, don't skimp on the due diligence research.

Good luck.

Everything is negotiable.  However, it's the norm that the buyer's agent is paid from the seller's proceeds through their brokerage.  That is, the seller typically pays the agents' fees. 

How is the realtor paid? Is that something we need to plan on covering?

I am an Exclusive Buyer's Agent and have lived and worked in D/FW for 19 years.  Our job is to help you buy a home without getting ripped off!

Zillow doesn't allow self-promotion but please visit my site to learn more about our services.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

Alysse

I'm in Colorado but if you have any general questions about the process, feel free to email/PM me.  Otherwise, if you find a home you like on Zillow, on the right there will be an option to contact a local Realtor; I am sure they'd be happy to help, too!