Profile picture for capri327

First time home buyer - utility bill estimate

I'm a first time home shopper and trying to find out how much is the average utility bill for a 2000 square foot home in Essex County.  House uses gas heat. I know it depends on the usage but just trying to get an idea.  My realtor said to multiply the mortgage payment including taxes by 40% but that seems awful high or is that correct?

I would ask owners but I am focusing mainly on bank sales.

• March 20 2008 - US
  • 0

I pay around $100 per month for gas in my 1300 sq ft 2bd 2bath condo with 16 ft hi ceilings.

I would guess you will be between 100-150 winter....50-75 summer.

In my previous house I paid $40 per month for gas + electric, until I added a hot tub, which brought it to $60 (in 1999). In 2007 it was still $60-$80, or $120 in winter when I heated.

Trash is $12 / month. Water was $15 / month. That was a 1560 sqft home, one person.

Gas heating.

Now I have a 2100 sqft home, 3 people. In summer we paid $59 for gas + electric, in winter it was up to $150 in January when the 2 other people heated electrically!

Wood stove heating, cost of wood is separate ($300 for one winter, it seems)

Trash and water is the same as the previous property.

In some areas you pay separately for sewage, e.g. $17 / month in Las Vegas.

Insurance for a 2000 sqft house can be anything between $30 (Salt Lake County) and $120 (Las Vegas). In coastal California, insurance of 2100sqft is $85 / month.

Heating cost heavily depends on construction, your preferred temperature and also surrounding (protected from wind or on a cliff?)

-Peter

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

"In my previous house I paid $40 per month for gas " 

did you live on a moped ??  lol

Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

I pay $600 for gas and electric for my 4,000 house in Bergen County.  SO I will go out on a limb and say the combined electric and gas bill for your your house in Essex will be $300?

40%, wow. If I were you, I'd put more money down then, I guess that will lower your bill

Profile picture for Peter J Rogers

$300 a month seems reasonable if you use gas. Now being Essex county $300 a month for taxes is not reasonable -figure at least double that.

Alpine, $600 a month?

I should add that people don't have AC in my area (on the ocean). I know that AC can really drive up the bill.

2100 sq ft house our Electric bill hit $410 last August, that doesn't inlcude gas. We're usually mid $300's in summer. but that's ok, electric company just asked for a 20.4% rate hike, I'm looking forward to this summer, oh boy.

It's supposed to go up another 20% next month.

Profile picture for Randy_H

Peter

No one has AC here either in the North Bay.  Our PG&E bill is easily $800/month.  It's not hard to jump from $300/month to $800/month because of the way the tiers work.

I can't wait to move... I want to know how much solar will be! lol