Profile picture for herd45

Flat Ceiling vs Decorative Tiles: Condo Resale Value

I'm replacing a popcorn ceiling that covers the entire condo and I would like to know what the best option would be for resale value.  Would I be better off with a flat drywall ceiling?  Or with decorative ceiling tiles like the ones in these pics?

http://static.ceilume.com/galleryimages/1135m.jpg
http://static.ceilume.com/galleryimages/1827m.jpg
http://static.ceilume.com/galleryimages/1828m.jpg
  • September 01 2011 - Baileys Crossroads
  • 1

Unless your place is from the 1800s and has pretty high ceilings, a big no on the decorative tile.  

Profile picture for Frank Rosati
I usually have my painter remove the popcorn ceiling by wetting it and scraping it off. Sometimes we just laminate a piece of 1/4" sheet rock over top of it to cover it up and finish it flat. I would definately opt for the flat ceiling as opposed to tiles and maybe even add some crown molding if it is in a common area.
Good luck,
Frank

I complete agree, Flat ceiling and crown molding. It can have a drmatic effect and appeals to a vastly larger audience.

I would do a flat drywall ceiling unless you have ceilings over the standard 8 feet. The decorated ceilings can look nice, but they tend to make areas seem smaller.

Painted dry wall will appeal to the largest number of buyers and if you have the budget for it, crown molding in key rooms like living and dining areas add a lot of style and give you back more than they cost to install when you go to sell.

Absolutely the drywall ceiling.

Profile picture for Emily Schukman
I would also go with the flat drywall. If you want to add an architectural feature without over-doing it, you can always add simple crown molding. This will make your ceilings appear taller and open up the room. Don't choose anything too decorative because you do not want it to be too taste specific!

Example: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tXaU48Ct-9s/TaM4LEiXpWI/AAAAAAAAAKk/oiGVfdcN8-U/s1600/DSCN5669.JPG

It's not the best picture, but it definitely adds character and crown molding is very popular, at least in our area! :-)

I advise my clients that anything you do to your home that is out of the ordinary starts limiting the amount of people it appeals to. BUT you never know, you might find the one buyer who LOVES that look. I personally believe that its your home and if thats what makes you happy go for it!!!

IMHO, a textured ceiling from decorative tiles on a regular height ceiling is worse than popcorn.  It makes me feel like the sky is falling.  

Now, I have some decorated ceilings in some cathedrals in Europe that were quite attractive!

I say go with a flat ceiling.  When selling, you want to maintain a neutral staging so buyers can envision the home with their own tastes in mind.  It'll help!

Smooth ceilings and non-ornate crown moulding is the best for resale value. Decorative tiles, at least in my area, are a negative.

Flat drywall is the best but you can use the decorative tile in baths or in one main room you want to accent.  I would not put it throughout the whole condo.

I had a condo where they put ornate crown molding throughout the condo. most people did not like it and the property did not sell.

Hope that helps