Profile picture for cmglobe

Flipped House, Leaking Roof

My wife and I are looking at a house that is being flipped by a developer. It is 50 years old and had been sitting empty for a couple of years. The developer let us look at the house yesterday and I noticed massive water damage in one of the corner rooms. The developer said that while they were working on the roof a storm came in and leaked into the back room. What troubles me is I also noticed another leak in the living room. He hasn't replaced any of the dry wall, and he's leaving the original ceiling tiles in place. He is only doing a fresh paint job. If he fixes the leaks, will this be a problem later on, is their more I'm not seeing and could there be mold in the future? Thank you
  • April 09 - Eugene

Profile picture for BungalowMo
Flippers use band-aids....that place needs surgery!

RUN!
  • April 29

Bad juju with unresolved leaks in a northern climate house. You cannot trust that the developer will or has fixed the leak right and a moldy house can be worth less than it costs to fix. 

Please be careful and if you decide to go further, get an inspection complete with mold swabs and hire a general contractor or high level inspector familiar with complete rehabs not just a garden variety inspector who is there to check off a list. Better safe than sorry.
  • April 10

If you really want this house (though I'm not sure why you would) there is no better expense than a home inspection and a roofing contractor.  If you need recommendations for either in the Portland area, contact me.
  • April 10

Profile picture for John Steeby
The less money the developer has to put into it the more profit he sees. If you're willing to buy it and take all these problems off his hands, he'll probably be very happy.

A property inspection is always a good idea.

But from your description I can't imagine why you would want this place.

• April 10

This house has trouble written all over it.

• April 10

The best money you will spend in buying a home is the expense of hiring a home inspector.  And even home inspectors can only point out things that appear to need repair.  In this case, I believe I would call a roofing contractor to do the inspection.  Sounds like there are some serious issues with the roof.  And since the roof is an expensive item to replace, I would certainly want to make sure it is right before you purchase the home.  I would also want someone to inspect the attic.  If the roof is still in good shape, it could be that it was installed improperly or there are some boot vents that need new flashing/seals.  This is why it is better to have a roofer inspect the roof.

And given this contractor's comments, I believe I would invest in a whole house home inspection on this home before you commit to purchasing it.  A house that is 50 years old and has been sitting empty for 2 years could potentially have some very serious issues that could be quite costly to repair.
  • April 09

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
Get it inspected sooner rather than later.  I had my inspector go through my house before we wrote the offer.  There were a number of issues we saw and wanted to know if there was more we should be prepared for.  If the home is in process, they will have more access now then once is all painted over.  You'll also be in a better position to require some work to be done appropriately rather than in a cheap cosmetic way that some flippers tend to do.
  • April 09

If a leak occurs and is caught promptly before causing damage (including drying thoroughly), it does not tend to be an issue and painting over is not a problem.   If it retains moisture then mold and/or further degradation of the sheetrock can occur.
  • April 09