Profile picture for norman.ok

Floating real hardwood

If I replaced carpet in the living room and dining room with floating real hardwood flooring would it add value to my house? I live in Norman OK. It would be around 450 sq feet of flooring that would be replaced.
  • January 16 2009 - Norman
  • 0

Best Answer

norman.ok-

There are a couple of factors to consider.  First off, if you live in an addition or area of norman that the majority of homes have hardwood, especially in homes built around the middle of the 20th century, i feel it would be beneficial to switch to hardwood floors.  This will help you in the future if you decide to sell your home because potential buyers will be looking for wood flooring.  Secondly, it is a good idea to make sure if you are doing other imrpovements to the home that you have not reached the point of overimproving.  Since it is only a 450sf area, I don't think it would be too costly to do it.  I personally always prefer hardwood to carpet or laminate.  Hope this helps!

Yes it would add value.  I would spend a little more to have a nailed install.  I think we're all going to end up spending a little longer in our current homes than we initially planned.  When your ready to move out you can do a screen and recoat and have the floors look like new.  Cheap now is expensive later if you put down a 1.00 a square laminate that you have to rip out in 24 months because it is essentially shiny cardboard.