Profile picture for diliz

For resale, is it better to have 4 bedrooms and 1.75 baths or 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths?

I live in Ronkonkoma and we are trying to decide whether to add another bathroom.  But, want to know if its worth it if we lose a bedroom.  Our four bedroom would go to a three bedroom.  But. we would be able to add a good size en suite master bathroom as well as a walk in closet. Posting should say we would have 2.5 bathrooms after remodel.
  • September 12 2009 - Ronkonkoma
  • 0

I grew up on Long Island and my parents still live there.  I know that homes are still expensive there compared to other parts of the country, even with present market conditions.  Buyers are looking for rooms that can do double duty such as an office, excerise room or library.  I vote to keep the 4 bedrooms, which makes the home more versatile.  It will also appeal to Buyers who NEED all 4 bedrooms for family members.  They will ultimately pay more for that 4th bedroom.  Good luck!

It depends on what you mean by 1.75 baths.  Does the .75 bath have a shower but no tub?  If that is the case then yes, you would be better off with 4 bedrooms and 1.75 baths.  Most buyers are OK with just a shower in one of the bathrooms.

My opinion is 4 bedrooms would be more appealing.

The more rooms the better, but think of if you want to share a bathroom with everyone. I would go with 4 br to rent . Take the 2 full bathrooms to resale.

I live in VA and my opininon as a realtor is to have 3 br and 2 ba.

I feel that a 4 bedroom home is more appealing to a buyer than a three. In this market sellers are only getting back about $10,000 on a $50,000 improvement. With all the homes available it maybe more practical to move.

What is the size of the 4th bedroom you would be converting? I once worked on a house where we took out a bedroom and divided the space between the existing bedroom and bathroom because the existing bathroom was maybe four feet wide and the existing bedroom was so small that only a twin bed would fit in the space. We did however convert another room to a bedroom.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
My initial reaction is in support of what JK is saying.  Here's a link to Remodeling Magazine's Cost vs. Value Report. Updated kitchens and baths typically have the highest ROI but you will notice in the report that it is regional.
The caveat is that I've run reports in my own geographic neighborhood and sales prices indicated that peoplpe were willing to pay more $/SF for an additional bedroom.  In the US we are so used to seeing a discount for higher volume that this sounds strange, but I'm just telling you what the numbers said.  I hadn't included baths in the equation though, so it sounds like an interesting twist to the research.
I think that the answer will be very neighborhood sensitive.  Have your Realtor run a very localized report of sales over the last 2 years.  Export the data to excel and examine those 2 elements and how they impact the the price.
I completely agree with the notion that your own comfort and use of the space has real value and the return is best realized over a reasonable period of time.   

The standard 3/2 will appeal to more people than most other combinations. Sure a 4th bedroom is nice, but a 2nd full true master bath I believe trumps the 4th bedroom.

Where it becomes difficult to truly determine things is cost vs return. You should examine other homes in your locality/neighborhood and determine whether such a change could end up being an over improvement. No point paying $20K to increase the value by $10K. On the other hand, if it is for your own convenience and you have no immediate intention to sell, then go for it.

We recently installed what is clearly a nicer and more expensive floor than our neighborhood comparable homes support. We did it for ourselves and are content knowing it did not increase the value beyond what the neighborhood market can support. We did it for ourselves.