Forced Registration vs. Open Registration

Yes, it's the age old question, but I'm more interested in a consumers perspective on this. 

I realize you may go to a different site if forced to register. However, what might entice you to register? or what has enticed you to register?

February 08 2012 - Minneapolis

Are you talking about having to register on a site (i.e., provide personal and contact information) to get information?

Zillow requires registration, but allows consumers to remain anonymous to others (even though it is possible to email through Zillow).

For what it's worth, I'm already on enough mailing lists. I already get more "checking in" phone calls and emails than I want. The more I can protect my personal/contact information, the better.

February 08 2012
That's understandable. 

If you were on one of these sites looking at homes is there something that would make your more likely to contact the agent over another? (That's assuming you didn't already know someone.)

February 08 2012
If I'm scanning houses of interest and have to register to see more details, I move on and skip that house.     

In a house search, I easily look at 100s of houses on line before narrowing down my search.  I do not want calls or E-mails from 100s of agents asking why I didn't have more interest in their listed house.

February 08 2012
I am not a fan of site registration and most people that I talk to are not either. They either skip the site or put false information into the box just the register.

Maybe a pop up box offering more information after a period of time would be effective. You could offer a neighborhood guide or links to information for home buyers or sellers including a local school district school finder , local park programs or recent sales in that area.

People who do not have an agent often appreciate information and will come back to you if they feel that you are interested in them, but allow them to take things at their own pace. 

February 08 2012
I only register on any site if I feel registering offers me some real advantages. If not I do not register. Being able to read an article that may or may not be worth reading is not such a useful benefit.

On occasion I will register with a phone number of 555-555-5555 and something like nosuch@email.com. Neither account exists in reality. It does however allow me to do as I wish while retaining my complete anonymity.

On occasion I receive a new listing from realtor.com. I go to the listing site to see more information. Sometimes the listing site requires me to sign up to view that property. I never sign up or go back to that site again on purpose. Doing that only turns potential buyers off. You are not gathering leads you are upsetting potential clients who look elsewhere.

February 08 2012
I like Zillow's policy... no registration required to "browse" and "read", but if one wants to "post", or "claim a home", or "list a home"... registration needs to be required.

I would like to see one thing different in their registration process though.  I would like it to be a 2-step process with a confirmation code sent to the supplied E-mail address, that must be used to complete the registration.  That way, it can be confirmed that the E-mail address is valid and belongs to the person registering rather than someone else, so that there is at least some way to communicate with the registered user.

Anything beyond E-mail address for registration should be considered optional and not required.  I think sites requiring name, address and phone number are excessive and abusive.  We already get flooded with enough junk solicitations and don't need any more.

Of course for all "information E-mails", the default should be "opt out", and one should have to specifically sign up for those, and should be able to change their preferences on that on their profile at any time, just as on a Zillow profile.

February 08 2012
I think what I'm seeing here is inline with what I've been thinking about the past several months. 

I have a pretty easy to use home search that's part of my blog and there's also a mobile home search option. 

As for content I've been writing market updates of various areas and neighborhoods. I scan several sites to see what questions consumers are asking and I wrote a blog post around that. 

I also look at my analytics and write content around those search terms too. 

I'm very much focusing on writing content that's being searched working towards offering the best information available in my market.

I'll keep monitoring this conversation and see were it goes. I'm very interested in studying what consumers want and working towards that.

February 08 2012

First time homebuyer- need to find a realtor
Profile picture for zuser20140528073456978
Latest reply by zuser20140528073456978
May 29 | 16 answers
5 Tips for Home buyers.
LIVE - INTERACTIVE - ONLINE HOME BUYER WORKSHOPS!
Profile picture for Dean Gupta CRS
Latest reply by Dean Gupta CRS
May 26 2013 | 1 answers
Investment home
Profile picture for Robert Perkins
Latest reply by Robert Perkins
January 09 2013 | 7 answers
  • Posted by user489435
  • In Investing
What do you research most often?
Latest reply by Reema Sharma

1. 961 Ashland Ave, Saint Paul, MN Home For Sale
    961 Ashland Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55104

2. 2600 University Ave SE APT 406, Minneapolis, MN Home For Sale
    2600 University Ave SE APT 406, Minneapolis, MN 55414

3. 7900 Regent Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN Home For Sale
    7900 Regent Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55443

Sign in with Google