Forged signature question

Upon signing a purchase agreement to purchase land that he owned, the agent/broker had me sign my wife's name to the document. I now want to back out of the purchase because my builder deems the property too costly too build. Is this document valid since I signed my wife's name and did he violate a code of ethics in this agreement?
  • November 24 2012 - Youngstown
  • 0

Contact your attorney

Profile picture for Kristin Dack
You are allowed to sign someone's name with their permission, agents are strongly urged to get that authorization in writing maybe to avoid these situations in the future. If your wife gave you permission to sign it then you and your agent did nothing wrong.

Well, we are not lawyers..so we can only speculate. I wonder how you could prove your agent "forced you" to sign your wife's name?

In my non-expert opinion, the contract is binding upon you and voidable by the builder.

Their defense is going to be that you represented that you and your wife agreed to the terms of the deal, and they have written evidence to substantiate that. Your defense is "they made me forge my wife's signature and now I don't want to uphold my end of the agreement."

I think that an attorney can get you out of this, and I think that you would be wise to clean up your own house before worrying about the agent's ethics.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Well, I agree you might need to discuss this with a lawyer but I would hope the seller/agent/owner would just let you out of the contract. Have you asked? While they were wrong to suggest that you sign your wife's name,. you are the one that did it and not him. To cry fowl now seems a bit late.

Tim

Profile picture for pvhomes
See a lawyer. You have multiple problems.