Found a home I like that is my Buyer's Agent's own listing. Do I need a new agent?

I've been working with a buyer's agent, and she thought one of her own listings would be a good fit.  I was initially skeptical but ended up really liking the property.  My agent proposed having one of her colleagues represent me if I wanted to make an offer.  Even if I were to get different representation, my agent, now acting as the seller's agent, already knows my finances, wishlist, impressions of the property, timeline, etc.  Would this negatively affect my negotiating ability?

September 19 2013 - US

I would ask yourself if you trust your agent.  If the answer is yes, I would feel comfortable moving forward with that agent representing both sides.  An ethical and competent agent is able to handle this type of situation and remain loyal and fair to both parties.  The important thing is knowing your limits, and pursuing the house that you desire.  Best of luck to you!

Yes, the situation is less than ideal, BUT.

The objective isn't to have optimal representation, it's for you to buy a house that you like!

You are not going to have optimal representation, because - let's think this out loud together - you're going to hook up with a new agent whose only chance to earn a fee is by having you buy this house. 

If your agent has done her job, you are well prepared to go after this house, at least with the help of a decent agent. Take the referral, get the house, and live a good life.

It is not uncommon for agents to represent both buyer and seller, but if they do they are required to represent both parties fairly. Your agent can't disclose any information to either party without the other party's consent.

Of course you can work with another agent or brokerage as your agent offered if you feel more comfortable.

I would agree that it would be wise for you to get your own agent. The listing agent is going to work in the best interests of the seller. I would not be too concerned about the listing agent knowing your personal information, your own buyer agent, will negotiate in your best interests. And remember, if you are not happy with the negotiations, walk away. This is a big purchase and you want to be comfortable with the price you pay. Regrets are heavy when it comes to buying/selling your home! Best of luck to you!

We frequently represent both sides and, in these instances, we take extra precautions to ensure both our buyer and our seller are fairly represented.  In some ways it makes the transaction easier because there is no delay waiting for communication, which can be the source of a lot of anxiety around a purchase.  Best of luck to you!

The listing agent is required to stay neutral in a transaction that they are acting as a dual agent.  This means they are not allowed to play favorites or disclose information to the other party without consent.  

However if it were me in that situation, I would use an agent not affiliated with the same brokerage so they could help fight for me specifically during the negotiating process.

Your agent has a responsibility to represent the seller and the seller's best interest. Your existing agent can represent you in this transaction, however, they can not share any information they know about the seller/buyer with the other party involved. I personally think that you will get the best representation with another agent for this deal.

If your agent is recommending assigning you, as a buyer, to a new agent then I would do that.