Profile picture for Trump Junior

Foundation repair questions. Where do I get a foundation repair company in Queens?

The front and back portions of my foundation that don't go as deep and contain the crawl spaces have sunk.  Also the area of the interior of the house around the stairwell is sagging a little.  A contractor I worked with in the past who remodelled my bathrooms says he can stabliize and slightly jack all for about $8,000 but that a foundation contractor would tell me I need to do a whole lot more with heavy equipment, etc.  I know in Queens, there are sagging houses galore, but my question is where do I go for a second opinion.  Spending over $10,000 is out of the question.  Should I go with my contractor's suggestions?
  • February 05 2009 - Richmond Hill
  • 0

Profile picture for Trump Junior
Thanks for the answer Mr. Builder.  You do say on your site to check with a structural engineer, which happens to be exactly what I did.  He said foundation is fine for its age and house needs no fixing.  Both my contractors told me they'd be happy to do lots of work.  I feel that no one in this world is truly impartial, but the structural engineer is more impartial than the contractors.  So, basically I will save my money and not do any repairs.  Tip to others:  even if you actually do need structural repairs, pay your own engineer (not one recommended by the contractor) to give his opinion first.  It may save you lots of $$$ and headaches since the contractor may say you need more work than you really do. 

Contact a NY company that specializes in Foundation Repair. There is a link to the National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors for all states on[embedded hotlink removed by Zillow moderator]

MrBuilder

Profile picture for EVELIZ
I LIVED IN QUEENS FOR MANY YEARS, BUT NOW I AM IN JERSEY CITY. I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY HOUSE, ONE MAIN BEAN THAT SUPPORTS THE HOUSE HAD BEEN DAMAGED BY TERMITES, SO THE HOUSE WAS SAGGING, I HIRED A GUY THAT WORK FOR A CONTRACTOR BUT HE ALSO WORK ON HIS OWN. HE REPLACED THE DAMAGED BEAN, HE BASICALLY LIFTED SIDE OF THE HOUSE
AND PUT A NEW BEAN IN IT. HE CHARGED ME HALF OF WHAT HIS BOSS WOULD HAD CHARGE ME. IF YOU LIKE I CAN HAVE HIM TAKE A LOOK AT IT.  THIS GUY IS REALLY GOOD.
MY EMAIL IS EVELIZ@NETZERO.NET

Profile picture for Trump Junior

OK, perhaps a masonry repair company could do the job.  Thanks for the answer.  I did use ServiceMagic and spoke with a seemingly knowlegable contractor who is not afraid of the heavy work.  He told me to replace the main beam of my house with a steel beam and he'd see if any floor joists need shoring up once he had everything opened up.  Said my other guy's ideas wouldn't really be as good a fix as his.  I like his idea in that it would really provide my house with good new steel and concrete support and then I could do the things that the first guy said by myself to provide additional support where things are sagging.  WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DO.  Not me and all the pros will have different ideas, I'm sure.  Somehow I'll muddle through this.

I see there are no answers to your question yet and I don't live in new york but you should be able to get any masonry company to do your repairs. Good Luck, Dan SunsetHomeRepair.com