Profile picture for jluca10

Getting start with buying my first home.

I am looking for my first home but I don't know where to start. I currently live with my parents, so I do not have rent expense. The only debt I have are about 20k in school loans.

I want to purchase a multi-family home so I am wondering how the income from the second unit will factor into getting the mortgage.

Don't know what my chance of getting a mortgage are, A FHA loan looks appealing but don't know all that's involved.

My info:
> 7-8 years of credit history
> 730 credit score
> $10,000 reserved for a down payment.
> Been at my current job for 1 year.
>  $2000 monthly income
  • April 01 2012 - Albany
  • 0

There are some calculators that might help you run numbers. This mortgage qualifier can help you determine your budget and what you might qualify for before you go looking for a prequalification. It is only a rough guideline and a lender is a great resource for the specifics.

FHA is good program that allows a lower down of 3.5%, but the fees are higher than a conventional loan would be. The second family idea is a good one, but you have to be prepared to be a landlord or to foot the extra expense of a management company. Often duplexes can make good starter houses, but you have to realize that means double maintenance too. 

If you can qualify for a duplex without using any rent to offset, that means that you would be in a solid position to be an owner occupant with a tenant and that you would be able to carry the payment alone even if you have a vacancy.