Profile picture for mdub2400

Getting started in Real Estate

Hi there I'm hoping to get some insight into getting my career in real estate career started. So I recently passed my Washington Broker exam and was initially planning on joining a Seattle area brokerage and starting my career as a residential broker. As I've started to reach out to brokerages in Seattle I've been rethinking my approach. My question is whether it would be beneficial for me to start as a Licensed assistant before becoming a broker at a future date.

My reasoning behind this is that I'm young, 23, and inexperienced in real estate besides working with family members who have owned and sold rental real estate. Starting off as a licensed assistant would allow for me to gain experience by working and learning from an experienced broker or brokers. Similarly I would be able to familiarize myself with Seattle neighborhoods and make inroads in networking with people that could potentially become clients in the future. Hopefully by becoming an assistant I could also accumulate more money for my reserves that would be used when I did decide to become a broker. I currently have enough reserves to make it about 6-7 months if I was to start off as a broker, ideally I'd like to have enough reserves to last a year.

Any advice or thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also if there any resources that you would recommend me checking out I would love to hear about them.

March 19 - US

Yes, that is very smart way for you to start.   As others have suggested best to look at ads for assistance and to target whom you would like to work for.   You may have to show them how you can benefit them by growing their business. 
Best of luck

March 22
10 years ago I was looking for a "part time" assistant--- someone who COULD help me catch up on my paperwork but had a good positive attitude and wanted to learn.  She was 19  or 20 and worked for me about 20 hours per week. Over the years she evolved into full time with bonuses.  2 years ago she started making as much as most licensed agents in our area!  We talked about the possibility of her getting her own real estate license.  She tried taking the exams but barely missed passing them ---- 6 times in a row.  She passed it the 7th time.  I knew right then she was a winner.

I'm so PROUD of her.  She's "capping" in her first 12 months (thats $2 Million of sales in our company) and has grossed over $60,000 for HER own real estate deals so far this year.  I know she's up as one of the top candidates for Rookie of the Year for our city (150,000 residents) among the other fine candidates that I'm equally proud to be associated with.

By the way---- she's STILL my assistant!  So she also continues to make good money putting up with me.

I'm so blessed she chose to stay with me and our team.  She sees all of my screw ups and learns from those I guess. Maybe I'm just her comic relief. She can now stand on her own 2 feet as her own real estate agent and possesses integrity, willingness to persevere, and a positive attitude in the presence of defeat---- others would have given up over.

I guess what I'm saying is there's SUCH a benefit to work with a good group of dedicated individuals around you.  You'll be no different 10 years from now except for the books you read and the good people you surround yourself with.

Pick mentors who have positive attitudes, dedication to share what they've learned (good and bad experiences), and you'll be fine.

PS--- hang in there!  It was the best thing I ever did to become a real estate agent. I'm blessed every day.

March 21
Tammie Johnson,
This is for the original person who posted (don't know the name).  Thank you so much for reaching out and offering someone you know.  Hopefully she will read this and take your advice.
Melanie Nemetz

March 21
Melanie, I know a great agent in the Seattle area. His name is Thach Nguyen. He is the founder of Thach Real Estate group... He a great realtor and a fabulous person to boot!!!  His contact is 206 334 8773. Just let him know that I advised you to call him! I know with out a doubt he will help you in anyway possible!!! It is well worth a phone call. This is a career of networking and one that I know you will love, especially if you enjoy people!! I wish you all the best of luck on your journey!!!
Keep me posted. I am excited for you! :o)

March 21

Absolutely.  Search your MLS for the top producers, ask other agents that you know if they know anyone looking for assistance.   You could search through Zillow and look for an agent that is producing & has good reviews.  If you contact a broker at a high producing agency, she/he may be able to connect you with someone looking for an assistance.  The key is to find someone who offers you actual work as well as an understanding that your intention is to eventually build your own business.  Some may be skeptical, worrying you may take their leads.  But that should not be a deal breaker as any one could know if that was happening.  
Ask your friends and family if they know of a good agent.  Eventually you will get your feet wet and become aware of what makes a good agent and you will be able to tell if they are offering you work or simply crumbs.  
You can always send me an email if you have any other questions.
Wishing you the best.   This is an exciting time for you!
Melanie Nemetz   

March 21
Profile picture for mdub2400
Melanie, thanks for the reply and insight into my question.  Is there any advice that you have for how I can go about picking the best realtor?  Thanks.

March 21
It is a great way to begin in real estate.  You want to choose a high producing realtor who can afford to have you onboard, not one who is dreaming they are busy enough for assistance.  I would make sure you don't get stuck with only paperwork but get hands on experience with the entire process from beginning to end.  Last suggestion, let the agent know your long term goal and he/she can help you develop the necessary skills.
I wish you all the best!
Melanie Nemetz 

March 19