Good Dallas suburb with good schools, decent commute and not that expensive

Hi All,
I need some input here. We are planning to relocate to the Dallas area and are looking for a good suburb to stay for our 2 kids (with another coming). We are looking for a 3BR, 2BTH with hardwood floors (at least in the living area), a 2 car garage, a decent sized yard, less that 10 years old, and in a nice school district. Our budget is $300K maximum.
So far we have zeroed in on Frisco because getting a house we like in Coppell and Plano ISDs with our budget seems like a stretch so far (could not find anything). Also, I may have to travel occasionally so I don't want to stay too far from the airport (30-40 minutes is no problem non-rush). Also, my wife intends to go to school in the coming years (UT Southwestern) so a decent commute to Dallas downtown is also very preferable.
Any other suburbs we should look at besides Frisco that fit our requirements and budget, and is a good school district? I am thinking if we need to we can relocate 15 years down the line to a great HS district but we do need excellent elementary and middle schools for now.
VM
  • February 10 - North Dallas
  • 0

Profile picture for trading14
Plano, Coppell and Richardson make sense for your needs. If you aren't obsessed with brand new then there are awesome options in preexisting homes, you can find new ones under your budget in NE Richardson and East Plano. Frisco & beyond would be a hellish commute.
  • September 02

[promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]
  • July 26

One of the things that I have not seen mentioned is the cost of driving the Tollways everyday is something that you may want to take into consideration. All the Freeways around Frisco are Tollways. This could make a difference in your cost of living spending a couple hundred dollars a month on toll charges may make a big difference in affordability. 

There are many homes that meet your criteria in the Plano ISD They are all over the place. Allen also has many homes that meet that criteria as well. I would check out Allen ISD as well. But, whatever you decide I would consider the additional cost of having to take tollways everyday. Many people that I have worked with in the past wished they would have factored that into their decision making process. 

Once you buy you cannot easily get out if it is costing you a fortune to travel back and forth to work everyday. Many days you pay an arm and a leg to sit in traffic on the North Dallas Tollway. I wish you the best of luck and ask the Realtor you are working with to point you in the right direction for this information.
  • February 12

Frisco is likely a great choice.
Maybe Mansfield as a backup.
It's always a balance.
I always ask a bunch of questions....
Like when does the UT situation happen.  Is that for sure?  Are there alternatives?
What does that look like.....Paramedic school for 2-3 months....Medical School for 4-5 years.
How big of a deal is it to you if you go to the airport lets say 1x month to drive 30 vs 60 minutes.
Do you leave your car at the airport, take a taxi, limo, or does your wife drop you off?

There might be some other choices.....you did not mention work locations.
Bedford, Grapevine, Flower Mound, Richardson, Lake Highlands, Highland Village, Plano, Allen might be considerations.
  • February 12

Congrats on your growing family!  When I have clients with your general criteria I absolutely recommend Frisco.  You will get more for your money in east Frisco (as opposed to west Frisco), so with a growing family you may find more options in east Frisco (i.e. east of the Toll Road).  However, I recommend that buyers select homes in their price range in east AND west Frisco and drive through the neighborhoods because those areas have dramatically different feels.  McKinney and Allen (although highly rated schools) may put you further away from the airport than you prefer.  Flower Mound is a great city with amazing schools and is close to the airport.  You will get more for your money in Flower Mound than in Coppell so that might be a great choice for you.  Richardson is not going to have newer homes unless you look in a few pockets that are in Plano schools.  North Carrollton also has some great areas as long as you look in city of Carrollton with Lewisville schools and Denton County.  Hope that helps a little bit!!!  Good luck on your home search!
  • February 10

Thanks, please keep the comments coming.

It's amusing now that I told me realtor I am looking for a house in Frisco and he never asked me why. And my research seems crappy. 
  • February 10

Yes you are close to the best neighborhood you left out Richardson, Plano, Allen, McKinney to name a few i can put you in contact with a Realtor who work exclusively in N. Dallas and can best direct and relp yoi narrow down your search. If you are intrested you can reach me via my profile. Good Luck
  • February 10

Those are great areas and well within your budget. Just pick any 1 Realtor to work with only.
  • February 10