Profile picture for dragonxbaby

Gotten black mold from the people behind my house. Contacted the Realtor but the house was just sold

• November 11 2009 - Lone Mountain
  • 0

Profile picture for pruewillow
The house next door to me is now in foreclosure, it is full of black mold from busted water pipes and raw sewage that back up in the basement it sat like this for 8 months. After the county sent inspectors out to the home they wore hazmat suits and informed me and my husband how bad it was inside.. Now the bank is going to sell it to some pour unsuspecting people. How can I stop this from happening???
  • January 14

Profile picture for garymunson
Steve Matthews siad it best...'not a problem until the lawyers'.. Mold is EVERYWHERE. Your house is full of it...simple experiment..buy 2 loaves of cheap bread. leave one sealed, spread the other one out on your table for one hour then put it back in the bag and place both loaves under your sink for one week. You'll see how mold spores are present in your kitchen by how black the opened bread has become...

Profile picture for AMINorthwest
Okay, well unfortunately there are a lot hypes and myths out there about mold. As far as what you can do legally about it, I'm not an attorney and don't give legal advice find an attorney to advise you on that aspect.

As far as the mold goes:

1) "Black Mold" - The truth is, there are thousands of kinds of molds and many of them are black. Additionally, molds tend to change colors at different stages of their growth. Some molds can be gray one day, black the next day, and green the day after that. The mold that most people are referring to when they use the term  "BLACK MOLD" is a mold called Stachybotrys.

2) "Toxic Mold" - Contrary to the widely-used term, "toxic mold", there is actually no such thing as toxic mold. Certain types of molds produce poisonous chemical compounds called mycotoxins, which are toxic, but the mold itself is not literally toxic mold.

Could water from sprinklers routinely hitting your house possibly cause mold to grow there? It could. All it takes for mold to grow and colonize is moisture. This is why a routine procedure in a mold inspection is a walk-around the outside of the house to check for any areas where water can come into contact with the house on a regular basis.

The health risks from mold is about concentration levels of spores in the air indoors. Nobody gets sick from just looking at mold growing on the wall (although it will damage your property) it's what they routinely breath. That's why mold growing inside a building is a problem. Both living & dead mold can release spores into the air. Some people are more susceptible than others (imagine a person that's allergic to Penicillin) and mold is a known trigger for Asthma. 

Consult a lawyer about the legal issues, but definitely get the property inspected by a certified mold inspector to find out the scope of the problem.

Hope that helps.

Profile picture for dragonxbaby
The people that used to live behind me water there grass and the water will hit on the wall. On there side you see the water marks. On my side the pant is coming off and you see black mold on the wall. The house went to foreclosure so I have contacted the bank owner and they took a long time to reply back and there finally said that they will try to fix it but then the house was just sold and people moved in. So now they're saying there is nothing they can do about it. Want should I do? It's not my fake I got black mold.

Profile picture for AMINorthwest
I'm sorry. That question may have come across as "challenging"... but I really don't understand what you mean.

So, what is your question?  Are you saying that your fence is covered with black mold?  or are you saying that you feel you have black mold on your interior walls because of your neighbor?  Or are you saying that you have gotten sick from exposure to your neighbor's mold problem?  To the best of my knowledge, black mold does not just attach to a house where the environment isn't perfectly conducive to culture black mold.  In other words, your walls probably have moisture present which facilitated the growth of the black mold. The presence of mold in and of itself does not mean someone is going to die.  We have lived with black mold for hundreds of years.  It didn't become so much an issue until attorneys found that you could sue someone for the occasional illness that was sometimes contracted as a result of exposure to the mold.  That is to say that not everyone is affected by the presence of black mold.  Having said that, whether someone gets ill from exposure is a bit of a roll of the dice, so it is best to abate the mold as soon as possible.  You can either do it yourself, or hire it done.  If you decied to do it yourself, there are things you need to do to protect yourself and your environment from potential exposure.  You can find ideas for how to do your own mold abatement on the internet. Good luck. With regard to the house next door, what ould you like to do?  If you would like me to make a contact for you, I will be happy to help you get in touch with the right people.  Good luck, and thanks for reading.

Profile picture for AMINorthwest
What do you mean you've "gotten black mold from the people behind your house"?