Profile picture for SMB2010

Granite or Hardwood flooring for kitchen?

I recently purchased a home and received the $8000 tax credit.  The home is beautiful and doesn't necessarily "need" anything.  I am not crazy about the kitchen countertops and flooring, but its still nice.  The kitchen currently has oak cabinets (some people have said oak is dated, but they are a very nice color and I actually like them), a white tile backsplash, Pergo flooring, and laminate countertops.  The floor has a few small areas where the Pergo has curled up, but I wouldn't have noticed it if the inspector hadn't pointed it out.  I was also considering putting ceramic tile in the kitchen, but there is already tile throughout other areas of the home and I don't really want that color in the kitchen.  If I decided to do tile I'd want to replace everything in the home.  The home was built in 1999.

What would be a better investment?  Real hardwood floors or granite countertops?

May 08 2010 - US

Granite counter tops have only been in homes since maybe the 1980s. They saw their greatest use in perhaps the last 10 years.

Hardwood floors have been in homes since the 1700s. Hardwood floors are timeless. Granite will become dated.

You might consider using engineered hardwood which is less expensive than a true hardwood floor. This is a layer of decorative hardwood bonded to a plywood like substructure. This is better than Pergo and will cost less than a true hardwood floor.

As you have already discovered, laminate flooring (at least the early stuff) was not recommended for use in bathrooms and kitchens as it has a tendency to get easily damaged from moisture.

Profile picture for shasta_steve
Funny you should mention that.  I just got up from taking a nap trying to give my neighbors a little time to wake up before I start making too much noise.  I am using my $6500 repeat buyers credit to put granite tile on my kitchen floors and I am putting hardwood floors down in my living and family room.  My house already had granite coutertops.  It is only a few years old but the flooring was very cheap and needed to be replaced when we moved in.  

I agree with Mike that granite might be a fad but I really do like it.  You do have to be careful with it like any other natural stone.  He also gave excellent advice about using engineered hardwood floors.  They tend to be a little less expensive, but not always.  For some floor types, like putting them over a concrete slab founation, they are about the only way to go.  They also have less of a tendancy to warp if they get wet than solid planking.  The higher quality ones a thick enough wear layer to be repaired several times if they get damaged and will last many years if put down correctly. You have the ability to float them like laminate also, so if you ever want to remove them they will easily come up.  My hardwood is fairly high end and I am gluing it down as I feel it will probably last as long as I do. 

If I still had kids in the house I don't think I would put down hardwood and I would know I would not put the granite tile in my kitchen.  Laminates are harder, cheaper, more easily replaced and quality has improved greatly the last few years.  Many now are very hard to tell from real wood. 

Profile picture for SMB2010
How is engineered hardwood as far as upkeep?  I'm already worried about caring for the Pergo since I was told NOT to let moisure sit on it.  It also seems that some of the squares separate and have to be nudged back into place.  Pergo kind of seems like a pain for upkeep as far as what type of cleaners can and can't be used.

Profile picture for shasta_steve
There are lots of different qualities of laminate and engineered hardwood too. Some are better than others.  I would try and keep the water off of it as much as possible and I would never put either down in an area I thought might flood.  My parents house has a back room that is used as a combination dining and laundry room.  My mom moved the washer but forgot to put the drain hose back in.  She got quite a lot of water on the floor and it caused some of the laminate to buckle.  I am going to go see them in a week or two and fix it.  

As a foodie who loves to be in the kitchen, be very cautious about tile in the kitchen.   There are two reasons: a) tile is hard, and the back and feet get very tired standing on it when having cooking fun. (This is true even when a "bouncy" underliner is installed.   b)  tile is hard, and anything dropped will break quickly.  

I love wood in the kitchen. 

The existing materials will ultimately determine which improvement will be a better investment.  I think that most buyers(and owners) consider flooring to be more important than counter tops.  Wetdawgs is right on the money with using tile as a flooring material in kitchens.

Some people avoid using hardwood with in the kitchen because of the maintenance factor but the new factory applied finishes are extremely durable.  The engineered flooring is great in most applications.  It is more stable than hardwood and because it has a fairly thick veneer you can refinish it.  A word of warning though, because the new aluminum oxide coatings are so tough, I think we will see an increase in refinishing costs in the near future.  Don't worry too much though because it will be 15-20 years before it is a concern.

New counter tops can really help update a kitchen as well, but I think you can install good floors and cheap countertops to better effect than if the situation was reversed.

Best of luck,
Ethan

No hard wood in the kitchen. You can find a great laminate to put in the kitchen. It expandes and contracts, it's durable, heat resistant. You don't eed to lever the floo perfectly for laminate. You can install it your self.

For counter top. You can go to Lowes and get formica counter tops that look like granite, but will last longer, easier to take care and less expensive. I mentioned Lowes beacuse it's cheaper than Home depot and has better selection.

I must chime in.  Formica that will last longer than granite?  I think a Lowes salesperson has gotten the best of you.

I have wood flooring and granite counters, they are both great. Wood flooring is great, but the kids are constanly spilling fluids on them. Luckily, we got a good quality wood laminate, like this, which has a 25 year wear warranty.

NICE granite will not become dated, and is only slightly higher than high-end vinyl. Caesarstone is becoming very popular in So Cal here, I would check that out, its not that expensive...

Profile picture for heapyh

Unless you're looking to completely reno your kitchen (cabinets, appliances, etc) be careful about what and how much you do.

Putting a nice new gleaming granite countertop onto older (especially oak) cabinets with older appliances might look like a bit of an overkill (although for the record I have seen some REALLY nice combinations of granite on black-painted or very, very dark-stained oak. Granite can be nice - but it doesn't work in isolation of everything else, and the lighter shades of oak are harder to make work with granite.

Hardwood is a safe bet. I agree with some of the others here who recommend an engineered product. Solid hardwood is more expensive, and depending on the "luxury" status of your home & neighborhood it may not be the best investment. ALSO, just because it's solid doesn't mean the wear layer will be any better than some engineered products. Research this one carefully. Solid hardwood with a 3/16 wear layer isn't worth any more than engineered hardwood with a 3/16 wear layer (in my opinion anyway).

If your appliances are (looking) dated, and if you're a do-it-yourselfer, you can get a LOT done with $8K. I'd start with the floors, do something funky with the countertops (consider tile perhaps), paint or restain the cabinets, and update the appliances. You can get all that done for under $8K and come out of it with your same (beloved) cabinets, new floors, new counters and new appliances.

As an Interior Designer I feel that the warm, classic look of hardwood floors would be the best investment at this time.  Bamboo flooring is beautiful, durable, and very good for our environment.  It is used in many "green" homes today.  The darker colors really provide a warm, cozy feel in the kitchen.

In regards to your countertops, I do feel that granite is beautiful and will be around for a while longer.  However, new materials being used today such as onyx are really a cool-looking alternative.  It is extremely durable and comes in an assortment of colors to truly customize your kitchen. 

Profile picture for jadedea
i say engineered hardwood for floors and poured concrete or recycled glass for counter tops. also mosaic tile for backsplash!

hardwood floors have been around for a long time and seem timeless but granite will become dated.

Profile picture for amyamster
Whether you're looking for classic, modern or traditional look, http://www.crownflooringus.com has the flooring to suit your needs. Their bathroom remodeling contractors will answer any questions or concerns you might have.

The engineered hardwood might not be best for the kitchen area.  It is basically thin layers of wood glued together with the finished layer rarely more than an 1/8" thick.  As far as which would be better investment wise I would say to have the kitchen floor replaced if it is already coming apart. 

I would say do the flooring.  Granite counters can be very taste specific.  Some granite is really dark. 

For a kitchen I would have to say go with the granite countertops.

From your description, it sounds like the flooring either is, or soon will be, in trouble.  Which makes me think this is the place to start.  Do some serious research (visit stores, don't trust photos) around laminate and engineered wood flooring - find the one that supports your lifestyle and looks great to you. 

But, for grins and giggles, while you are visiting those stores, look into the various solid counter tops.  Selection seems to be expanding daily.  Again, consider your lifestyle.  Who knows?  Maybe you can afford both?

Personally had tile. Grout cracked over time, not putting down hardie backer. Replaced with solid finished Oak hardwood floor throughout. What I can say is even though both look nice, grout can become soiled and stained depending on traffic, kids, and such. Happier with Hardwood floor all cut at a diagonal, matching architectural ceiling lines in rest of home. Yes, Granite like Trazzo can become dated, wood endless as mentioned. 

Granite is very, very popular today!  In big demand by most buyers!  Are you planning to sell soon?  If so,  I would put granite in.  It has not gone out of fashion yet.  If you are going to stay there for a while...I would put in hardwood,   then see what the lastest fashion in countertops is when and if you get ready to sell.   Then you can "update" your kitchen. 

Profile picture for Computerguys1
I like hard wood. I think it's classy and has a better resale value.
What's popular today doesnt mean it's going to be popular 10 years from now. Hardwood is always in no matter what.

Granite will be like hardwoods, classy forever. I would personally use quartz countertops. You don't have to seal quartz like you do with granite. To all those that think granite is just a trend, what's next for countertops??? Is tile or laminate going to come back, or will it be concrete or stainless steel countertops next.
Hardwoods have been around forever for a reason. The same reason granite will be, strong, durable, and classy.

I would suggest Granite Counter top is always the best option, however hard wood will look awesome as an flooring.
-
ASAP Contracting & Roofing, LLC

Often the best changes made to a recently acquired older home are those that are not made immediately but the ones made after you have lived in the home for a period and have a better feel for its true needs relative to yours.

So our recommendation is to not rush into making any decisions until you and your home get to know each other.

There's plenty of time....especially, if you are in no rush.

Bill

You've a ton of replies here so I just add on more option. For wet area's there are several tile offering that look exactly like wood. They have the highest tolerance for moister and are extremely durable. Wood, or these days wood appearance with all the material options now, pre dates the violin, so it's likely to remain in style for a long time.

Tile and stone have been around kitchens for a  longtime, but solid stone (granite etc) only became common in the 80's as the  tools to cut it became mass produced. But kitchen and bath designs always become dated as styles change. While floors have remained flat, appliance's, cabinet designs , and hardware are in a constant state of change. Your kitchen will become dated no matter what you install. The only exception might be a historic look and feel.

How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers
Does putting a fence on your property, increase the value?
Profile picture for Shannon Biszantz
Latest reply by Shannon Biszantz
June 05 | 13 answers
Clogged Drain solutions....DIY-using softdrinks???
Profile picture for warchildbosnia
Latest reply by warchildbosnia
May 30 | 25 answers
Cost of Building A Garage
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
May 15 | 5 answers
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Latest reply by BungalowMo
April 30 | 38 answers