Profile picture for lakeview10550

HGTV Hall of Shame Comment

Did anyone see "My First Place" on HGTV last night.  The buyer actually said - I like how everything is white so we can paint.  WTF?  Does she think you can't paint if the walls & trim aren't white??

• January 28 2008 - US

LMAO

I think I'm going to have to start a foundation that puts a parental block on that channel for all sellers.

Profile picture for brtlmj

I am sure it was short for "I am glad that walls are not deep purple, so repainting will be easy" :-)

Profile picture for lakeview10550

Marci - and buyers!

True lakeview, they need it more.

Profile picture for tj125tj

How about Property Virgins last night- the woman didn't want to go over a certain amount per month for a condo and the agent was trying to talk her into intrest only and extended 35 year mortgage loans!!  This same woman said she wouldn't give up her designer jean obssession or expensive tastes to help make her bills each month - sounds like a great credit applicant to me!

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

I hate Property Virgins!! That lady that hosts it or whatever, she's SO FREAKING ANNOYING!  She always has to walk arm in arm with the couples and that is too much up in my personal space baby!  And she acts like just becuase they've never bought a house before they're going to listen to every word she says and agree with everything she says....Just because they've never bought before doesn't mean they have no opinion and no mind of their own!  I HATE that SHOW! LOL 

Ok I'm done now.

Profile picture for CarolineTodd

I watched three episodes of that show in a row one saturday this past summer and could not believe how financially stupid the people buying a home were.  All three couples wanted to know nothing more about their loan than 'how much house can we afford?'  They all ended up with interest-only loans on huge mortgages.  It's these same people who don't even take the time to read one article about mortgages that are probably crying now about being in over their heads.

A better show would be one that goes back to visit those buyers a year later to see if it worked out.

Profile picture for dinydeek1

I agree- would love to see a show that tells you what you really ought to be looking at if you want to send your kids to college, save for retirement and eat anything other then top ramen!

I am dreaming of a tiny cottage, on a tiny lot in a low tax county!

That would be so nice diny.  I don't know what happened to buy what you can afford, but those days are gone.

Profile picture for dinydeek1

What would happen to all the giant suburban homes if we all bought what we could really afford...

We once owned a home that was 5000 sq feet- just replacing the carpet ate up a years worth of good wine and fillet!!!

This one is smaller and our next purchase will be smaller yet... tired of the Jones....want old comfy furniture, and good cooking from the small easy to clean kitchen, I want to think owning a toaster is a cool thing instead of the 5 thousand corded appliances...

wish we could have it all- maybe some one will rent my family their guest house- then I can just borrow from the "main" house if I need something :-)

You are preaching to the choir.  If I hear one more time "OMG, I would never live there!", I'm going to scream.  Bunch of spoiled brats that have to have the McMansion from the get go.  That's all well and good, but you better be making enough to support your desires.

Profile picture for dinydeek1

Not sure it is all spoiled, I think so much has to do with commercialism and peer pressure- Builders, home improvement stores, HGTV, our world revolves around who has got the biggest! 

It has been hard for us to learn.. I am just tired of having my house own me... tired of cleaning it, fixing it, I am hoping on a smaller scale I will rekindle my love of home ownership... plus I really want to paint my walls other colors then what the market demands, I hate stainless, I would love to try cork, but hesitate because I do not know what potential buyers might dislike or not...

I wonder if we could go back to 1940 and push this type of pressure on our grandparents what exactly would they tell us?  Probably to shove it where the sun don't shine LOL

ah well- back to checking out my competition ... :-(

Profile picture for Deanne_OR

Every time I go past a McMansion, my only thought is "How do they clean it!?" I love that I can clean my little place in a couple of hours every weekend.

Profile picture for 05172010

HTV shows are fake and staged.   One was filmed less than a mile from me & they said they were located 50 miles away.  Also, they  lowered the price so drastic - no wonder it sold.   Drive by now and it's a dump!  Clean is in - I really really can't stand those shows.

Profile picture for momtorjm

You know, we added on to our house so everyone would have some space.  We are always in the living room ,  the kitchen, and my bedroom.  I guess I really don't need the other 2000 sq ft!!!

I am sick of these shows too.  "whats my house worth" was on last night.  A woman bought a home in Malibu for something like $2 mil and put $2mil into it.  after a year and a half~ mostly 2007 they said it was worth $6 mil.   Goodness.  She said she spent $200,000 on her kitchen.  If I spent that, it better come with someone to shop, cook and clean it for life!!!  LOL

I had a client say "omg i would never live there" in 1.5 million dollar house one time... I had just returned a few weeks before, from a third world country, where I had lived for several months under mosquito nets in a wooden shack with no water or elctricity, on stilts to avoid the seasonal floods, while working on a water purification system for the small village. I almost vomited.

Profile picture for Peter J Rogers

THe HGTV shows are faked - I know - a client of mine had their house featured in tha one where the guy does the fancy improvements on the lap top. The people make their choice of 3 different houses and supposedly choose one. In this case they did not buy any of them. Then latest show is about people spending the night in a house before they buy it - its called "Let me sleep on it" or something.

I mean give me a break!

Profile picture for mina36

I have 834 square feet and it's just perfect for one human and two cats. :)

These conversations remind me of the 'Extreme Home Makeover' show...which I'm am suckered into watching each week. However, I can't appreciated the over indulgent square footage, flat screens in every room, blah blah, etc. Plus, I'm a little (a lot) jealous! ha ha

I remember a "buyer" walking into a house on "sell this house" and saying "I love these curtains"....What are you curtain shopping?  Is is a deal breaker if they don't throw in the curtains?