HOA Fees

When HOA fees are listed, is that a yearly or monthly fee? Some fees listed are $67 to $450.
  • June 22 - Phoenix

Profile picture for burncard98
It should be pretty obvious why they're not listed......because for every dollar you spend on an HOA, that's one less dollar you have available to afford the actual house.  HOAs exceeding $100 are absolutely insane unless you live in a million dollar neighborhood OR they cover your roof 100%.  I positively refuse to buy a home where the HOA is over $100.

HOAs are NOT tax deductible.  While I see the need, I would MUCH rather have a bigger/nicer home than a small home with a massive HOA
  • October 06

Profile picture for jmort253
With all due respect to the people working in this industry, why don't the people posting the listings just put the units on there and save everyone the hassle?  This seems like a pretty important detail to omit from a listing, especially when it's a professional posting them.  These aren't for sale by owner. 

I get that we all make mistakes and are human, but it seems like these omissions happen way too often. It's a common enough thing to where a programmer at Zillow could fix this problem by putting a "units" field next to the HOA field, so those posting are required to specify whether it's monthly, quarterly, or yearly.  They could even put a "don't know" field in those (hopefully rare) cases where the person posting the listing really doesn't have the information.  Again, we're all fallible humans, but maybe we can make the information more clear or make it harder to forget to enter it.  That way, everybody wins.
  • October 05

I have to agree with Jim Mitchell on this. The best way to get your answers is to contact the HOA. Doing your research before hand like you are now is the best way to guide your client with expertise. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Real Estate Agents not prepared to answer their clients questions. 

Please feel free contact me anytime if you need help. 

Mike
  • June 23

The HOA dues will vary from property to property and the listing should also tell you if the fees are monthly, quarterly, or annually.  Is there a particular address you are interested in?  I can do some research for you on this.

• June 23

It all depends on the subdivision or association (management company).  While most fees are collected monthly, it's not uncommon for some HOA's to bill quarterly while some will bill on a yearly basis.

Feel free to contact me through my Zillow profile and send me the property address of the home you're interested in and I'd be happy to check for you.  No obligation or hassle at all; I'll email you the terms as they are presented by the listing agent on the MLS.  I can also send you the HOA contact info so you can contact them directly if you have questions about what the fees cover, any restrictions, how often they have board meetings, etc.

Thanks for the question!

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group
  • June 22