Profile picture for johnaman76

HOW TO SELL HOME

MY HOME HAS BEEN ON THE MARKET SINCE OCTOBER 2009. MY HOME IS THE CHEAPEST OF ALL THE HOMES IN THE AREA. I HAVE HAD ATLEAST 30 PEOPLE COME AND VIEW THE HOUSE AND NOT EVEN AN OFFER. MY REALTOR ASKED FOR FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE VIEWED THE HOUSE AND NOTHING. i HAVE REDUCED THE PRICE AND INCLUDED A CLOSING COST. I AM AT A LOSS FOR WHAT TO DO FROM HERE.

May 12 2010 - Peoria

Profile picture for johnaman76
The mls number is 1113537 on realtor.com. Before I put the house on the market I redid the bathroom( put down ceramic tile, retiled the walls, put in new faucet), put in new countertopand backsplash in kitchen, put in new sink and faucet in kitchen and redid the hardwood floors in the livingroom, hallway and 2nd bedroom. I had the livingroom, hallway and both bedrooms repainted an off white color. I am just not sure where to go from here. My contract is just about done with my current realtor. I am not sure if i should put it up for rent or continue to keep it on the market. Looking for any kind of help....

Even though you are the cheapest one out there, are you the best? Take a close look and be honest. Do you have the curb appeal, the entrance that wows, etc. Try asking yourself why you bought it. Then emphasis those features, it may help. Lack of feed back is not all that unusual. It's rude, but normal. I wish you luck, hang in there!  

Your days on market is too long by now. Take it off for a week or so. Have your agent prepare a new cma(comps), what things could you do cost effectively like paint or carpet to spruce up your look? Does your home smell neutral or good? Is your lighting bright and rooms layed out to present more space? It is possible your home "feels" cluttered or you have an excess of furniture that makes the rooms seem too small. best of luck

Hi John,

There are many variables involved that would provide further explanation / insight into what the solutions could be for your situation...

Some of these include but not limited to...
1. Curb Appeal (*condition of the interior / exterior of the property)
2. Price Point / Market Value
3. Interesting to hear there has been absolutely NO Feedback from all the activity you have received on the property...?!
Perhaps an anonymous sign in sheet during an open house w/ a short 1-2 line item questionnaire to provide others viewpoints / feedback...

Please feel free to contact me and I can answer further questions or provide suggestions based upon more details pertaining to your scenario.

Thanks for the question!

Best,

Josh

Some homes have hundreds of showings and no offers.
30 showings is good and should mean you are close on the price, but need some tweaking to make it irresistable and get an offer.
Buyers are only buying the greatest values right now......

It depends upon the price range really. Who is your market?
first time home buyer or 2nd time plus?
If first time-offering closing cost assistance is great
2nd time-may not be as effective-offering to pay down points on the loan better
do you have a home warranty-house built prior to 1995?
30 people over 8 months-that's about 4 per month...did most come within the first month? if you had say 15 people in the first 30 days and not offers-you are most likely over priced and/or something is up...curb appeal/amenities (of course price cures all evils, however make sure it's not something that is a simple fix (like paint, too much furniture, anything that doesn't appeal to the masses-this is soon to be not your home. DEPERSONALIZE!!!) that may be taking money out of your  pocket.
If the showings have been sporadic-it could simply be your price range is over supplied, however, again price cures all evils. Feel free to give me more detail. I will help if possible.

Hello.

May I ask, is your home listed on Realtor.com?  Do you have a link you can post to this site so we can take a look at some of your marketing? 

In terms of marketing, you should have definite online exposure.  In my opinion, being listed online is not enough.  You must have virtual or video tours, personal notes to describe things statics can, like a view or some unique feature about your home. 

Every market is different, but if you could provide the mls listing number for you home, I could look on realtor.com and see what I can recommend to help out.

The biggest group of people you have to advertise to are potential buyers and Realtors.  If you have a large number of homes to compete with, reducing the price and including closing costs to the buyer is helpful, but did all the Realtors notice.  Your note doesn't mention you have a Realtor or Broker Open.  This is not a guarantee, but it can reintroduce your home to the agents and brokers and let them know about your great incentives to their buyers or potential clients.