Half say YES, and half say NO!

Why is the "Open House" so controversial?  Do they work or not?

April 17 2011 - US

Open Houses are quite popular in our area; I just held an open house on a new listing in our office and sold it to the first couple that came through the door. They were first time home buyers with small children and they were
looking for an agent who could do everything electroncially and that is what
we did. I have had success with Open Houses and I will continue to do them.  

I have mixed feelings on open house. Personally I have only sold 3 in 8 years in our area. I think sometime they get the people in talking about the home and sometimes you pick up a buyer. Bottom line as a realtor in a strange market you do what ever it takes to make these houses move. So suck it up and hope for the best and sell selll sell......

Some work and other do not... Depends on how many turns someone has to make to get to the property.   More than 3 turns the less traffic you get.

Profile picture for hpvanc
I don't know if my area is unique, but I found that the only way to find the open houses was to drive around.  How hard or expensive is it to note or advertise the open houses on the internet.  Not advertising open houses online seems like it virtually guarantees you won't get buyers that are actually interested in that house.

Hopefully my area is unique, but in this case not in a good way.

think that there's balance.  some do they too often and sellers get the impression they are more effective than they are.    One done when a listing is new and the weather is nice is good,  a second one done at a later date if still on the market - with weather also an important factor.  it probably won't attract someone that wasn't going to look anyway, but it CAN be less pressure and simpler for them.  not to mention...showing the house to many people at once - even if they don't like it...was better than makign those 5 trips over there for the same people that turned out not to like it.

I stopped doing Open Houses years ago after doing 15 of them in a row without a single human being coming through the door...And no, nobody came through the windows either."

LOL. Maybe so, but if those buyers knew that they would meet a smart and funny agent like you inside those open houses, they would stop for sure.

I think you're right about the internet has changing the playing field. Buyers can cross a lot of maybe houses off their list and may not have as much interest in the going to as many open houses. I still like them, but I can definitely see your point.

I stopped doing Open Houses years ago after doing 15 of them in a row without a single human being coming through the door. And no, nobody came through the windows either. I was lonely, scared and crying. OK, maybe not. But I was bored.

Now I spend my time doing more effective things with my time, such as SEO on a variety of web sites to attract new clients. The day will come (maybe) when Open Houses will become popular again, but as a general rule I think they are dwindling because of the power of the Internet. Buyers can view homes and contact agents on the web very easily now. They don't need to drive up and down streets looking for homes for sale and Open Houses.

Profile picture for hpvanc
I agree with Sunny for the most part.  Just not sure that it is a "no pressure situation.

I would also suspect that it is much more effective sales tool for properties priced at the market and 1st advertised 1-2 weeks before the open house with the open house clearly stated in the listing.  If I were listing I would insist on it, list it on Monday with an open house scheduled for Saturday or Sunday.

I like open houses because they work well for me. I made an offer at one open house and found two great buyers agents in different areas via open houses. It is also nice to be able to go through a house that you're not sure about without bothering your agent for a formal showing. It's a great way to meet agents in an informal no pressure situation too.

I've only owned 5 homes so far in my lifetime, but each was purchased and sold from an open house. I probably feel a little stronger in believing that the open house does work and it does sell homes just from my own personal experiences.   

I have sold several homes that I have held open as an Open House, so YES, they do work....thats why we do them for our clients.

Profile picture for droopyd
We bought our current home after having seen it as an open house. Would we have seen it anyway as a result of having popped up on the MLS? Probably. But getting a chance to see it without having to make an appointment in advance was helpful.

I used to think they never sell houses...then I sold one - first buyer that came in was there because they'd been watching that house.

That buyer would have likely called- but this was easier.   I don't think there's a lot of value in having them over and over on a house, but having one when it is first listed on a sunday with good weather and other houses nearby also open.

A broker's OPEN is worthwhile- it gets lots of agents into the house to see what it looks like, they give you feedback on the staging and presentation of the house and the price etc.  they remember things about it and can talk about it with their clients better than if they just viewed it on the MLS.

I think this really depends on the area and price range. In today's market, they are less likely to work because there are so few qualified buyers out there actively looking. We have tried open houses in the past for some of our luxury properties and found them to be ineffective. On the plus side, in a hot neighborhood you can sometimes pick up a potential buyer client while working an open house.

Sometimes they work to help the agent obtain buyers.  The almost never actually sell the house.