Profile picture for tdefazio

Has anyone tried a 3rd party contractor finder service? If so, how did it go?

• July 07 2011 - Sacramento

One other resource I neglected to mention is to also check Angie's List for information and reviews on any company you're considering.

[Hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

I have never tried a 3rd party contractor finding service.  I have, however, was a contractor utilized by a contractor finding service.  From my perspective it was not favorable long term arrangement for me.  Service Magic and United Home Improvement are two companies I know of.  Service Magic generates leads for contractors, they then sell it to 3 contractors working in the same field in one area.  Once a homeowner makes a inquiry about needing a contractor, the information gets forwarded to the three contractors that paid Service Magic to get listed.  Then all three contractors hastily call the homeowner in hopes that he or she is the first one to respond.  "IF" the lead is a good lead then the first contractor to respond will get the "CHANCE" to go out to the home and give the homeowner an estimate.  This is not a review site.  I would try Yelp and check local contractor reviews.  License, workman's comp, insurance is a must.  This went into affect middle of last year.  If your home is 1978 or older, then they must be certified by the EPA to handle lead base paint.  Good luck

In Nevada County we have a non-profit Contractor's Association (Nevada County Contractor's Association) which strives to recommend only reputable local contractors.  They work very closely with the contractors to help ensure we're in compliance and worthy of their recommendation.

I would recommend you see if there is a similar organization in your area rather than paying anyone for a referral.  When you choose a contractor, verify their license with the Contractors State License Board and ask for proof of insurance including Worker's Comp.

I used one personally when I was doing work on my own home.  Seems the selection is limited and most of them are high.

Since I've been practicing in Pa I've gotten up a good list of contractor contacts.

The other route you might try is to see if there is a Business Network International Chapter (BNI) in your area.  You can look up the main website on the internet.  Select your state and look for local chapters.  Contact the President of the chapter to get information on contractor members.

BNI members are held to a high standard of work ethic.  It is a referral based business networking organization.

Most that I have experienced merely collect fees and know very little about the industry or who they are referring.  One is usually better off finding contractors through word of mouth and then checking references.