Profile picture for wannagonow

Help! My dogs are stressed regarding our move this week! Need advice ASAP

We need advice!

We are moving this friday. My two rescue dogs are a bit stressed with all the packing and moving around of schedules.  I have managed to get them walked every day.  My large mutt peed in her crate when we were gone about 7 hours, and layed in it! EEEWW! (she has never done this in 6 years we have had her).  My small mixed mutt, who we had a hard time potty training, has peed in the house three times in the last few days.  It took me about 2 yrs to train him to stop marking in my house, now he is lifting his leg on my newly packed boxes.  WTH! I love my dogs, but I am STRESSING OUT!

They will go to the doggy daycare for two days during the move...but I am afraid of what they will do in the new house.  If they piddle all over, my husband will have a fit!

July 22 2008 - US

Profile picture for Carrie.

I would use your crates and deal with it. They are stressed understandably so. Is the doggy daycare some place the are used to going? If not they are going to be even more stressed. In the new house use your crates to confine and maybe keep them free in the kitchen where its easy to wipe up messes. Slowly let thme have more freedom but only when you can be there to watch them like hawks.

Profile picture for wannagonow

Carrie: they have only been to doggy daycare for a couple of hours for an evaluation!--but i really don't have any choice, i need someone to watch them for the two days.  i will crate them, but also thought to tie them out in the new backyard for several hours to get them used to the area. We have an electric fence (radio collar) but I don't want to introduce the new "zones" until they are more stable.

I understand the stress, i am sure they can feel it from me. I just need them to behave and not tinkle in the house!

I used crate training on my own dog.  But apparently with that method, it has to be reinforced with any kind of move.

A suggestion for the move would be to make "play" time.  I play a few games with my dog.  I play fetch with him (he'll do that indefinitely), hide and seek, doggie take-down (my favorite).  They seem to respond well to that sort of activity when moving.  If you can connect the move to a "good experience" in their mind, then it will go much better.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Profile picture for Carrie.

If you keep them outside when they are used to being inside...I would imagine that would seem like punishment to them. You would be isolating them from their pack and denying them the comfort of their pack leader. I guess you have to do what you have to do but I am not sure that is the best answer for the dogs...might be for your carpet and your husband. Why not keep them in the kitchen until you are sure they have adjusted?

Sounds like what they are going to need is time to grow accustomed to the new adjustment in surroundings.

Good luck to you.

Profile picture for mpal.

My dog is still having issues since our move.  She never peed in the house but now does it at night.  I've figured out that the problem is that she is uncomfortable with our yard at night still.  So, I have to make the effort to walk out with her at night put her on the grass and make her pee.  Sometimes she'll walk right back to the door and want to go in, so I pick her up and put her back on the grass, I do this until she pees. Otherwise she will go right back in the house and pee on the floor.  Luckily for me when she has done this, it has been on the granite floor or a bathroom rug that I can easily wash, not on the w/w carpet.  I hear what you are saying about hub, mine made the mistake of saying she will ruin the carpets if she pees on them, I told him that I will rip up all the carpets and install hardwood floors, that shut him up :)

Profile picture for wannagonow

thanks everyone.  My large dog is outside most of the time (she prefers this....maybe she's part husky??) anyhow, the little guy is ok w/outside, but i thought i will leash them in the house, so i can show them their area and correct them if they try to do something wrong. I will crate them or confine them at night for sure.

I cannot gate off the kitchen area, it is open floor plan that cannot use a gate to section them off.  I can eventually gate off the laundry room after everything settles.

I would like to get one of those round discs that is associated with the electric collar, every place that you put the disc, it gives the dog a few feet from the disc to be free but does not allow them to wander too far away from it (like a 90 degree area).  Has anyone had experience with this disc?

Try walking them on a really long walk if you can. Exsercise not only relieves stress it wears them out so they might be too tired to be anxious. We travel with our little guy and when we are in a hotel he barks at every noise so I have to take him on a 20 minute walk 3 times a day when we are traveling. It fixes every anxiety he has.

You may want to get one of those pack to add weight to the large dog.

Profile picture for wannagonow

thanks bub, i will definately try this. 

Profile picture for dunmoved

For future reference for anyone who has to move with pets:

2 words:  Pet Sedate.  It's just chamomile or some kind of herbal 'remedy', you can get it at PetSmart or pet stores, and it gets 'em just stoned enough so that they aren't jumping out of their skin.  Think of it as a glass of doggie wine (although it comes in tablets or powder form for easy placement in a piece of cheese).  ;-)

Profile picture for bethrahrig

I was just thinking the same thing Dun.  Ask your vet for some doggie prozac.

Tired dog, good dog.   1 h of heavy exercise morning and evening, and keep them confined.

Profile picture for wannagonow

ok, the dogs are still having accidents.........not always sure which one is doing this! I have gated them off in the laundry room, and then gated them off on the back deck during the shady time of day.  I am slowing getting them used to rooms in the house, with frequent walks and breaks. I am letting them have drinks of water, but not the full bowl of water all day.  I know they are unhappy/upset, but I cannot let them run the house yet. We have construction crews in here, with the door open most of the day.

Of course I was told not to install the electric fence yet, that they might freak out!

I hope I can make it through this time. I love my dogs but it's a shame that they are so stressed out.

Any other words of wisdom are appreciated.

Profile picture for mckylie

I'm sorry your babies are having such a hard time!  I hope they get used to everything soon!  No advice from me - I just have a lazy cat!  :)

Profile picture for Carrie.

Where are you? I wouldnt limit there water if you are keeping them out on the back deck. I dont think things are going to settle down for your dogs until you are settle down. It sounds like its still chaos with contractors in and out. This is still disruptive and lots of activity. I would imagien your dogs will not start to relax and feel safe until things go back to normal.

Profile picture for wannagonow

Carrie: sorry for the delay...i live in IL, the dogs were watered (funny!) often and in a shady area on the back deck. They peed in the new house for the first two-three days. Now I have put back up the electric fence, they are getting trained on it, but have more freedom=less accidents. They are doing better. Still not 100%, but I also let them start sleeping in our bedroom at night again, so they will feel more like the old days.

Thanks for the advice. Knock on wood--no more accidents.

Profile picture for Carrie.

Good news

New Help Section
The watering hole..
Latest reply by Pasadenan
  • Posted by ConnieK_ppm
  • In Discussion
Dunes Tavern & Conspiracy Center
Latest reply by Pasadenan
1 day ago | 14270 answers
Is America Home 4rent a scam or legit
Latest reply by sunnyview
1 day ago | 24 answers
Delete My Account