Help finding appropriate home loan

My boyfriend and I plan to purchase a home together in the near future. I have done a lot of research, but I don't seem to be getting any straight forward answers to my questions. We are both securely employed, myself at a prestigous private school in the area that I plan to continue my career with and he is a landscaper with room for occupational growth as well. Together we have saved just under 20,000$ together for a down payment and want to purchase a small home around 80,000-120,000$ roughly. We do not have any bills of our own, have a joint income of at least 2000 a month, and have no credit history. How do I go about getting an appropriate home loan for our situation? 
  • November 15 2012 - San Leandro
  • 0

Profile picture for joechou
You may also consider the option of bringing in a co-signer with more credit history that is acceptable to your preferred lender.

Some lenders are willing to use alternative lines of credit (like cell phones and utilities which are in your name). Until you speak to a mortgage professional or two, you won't know. The fact that you can pay down 20% is very beneficial. 

If you can't find one willing to do that you can certainly build credit, but it will likely take a year. Some of the easiest ways are to get a couple of secured credit cards and possible put some money in a CD and then borrow against it. 

If you are paying back a student loan of any kind, you may have enough credit history. Sometimes you have more history than you realize. 

The killer is no credit history.   Lenders want to see a history of responsible use of credit.   Therefore, you need to take a systematic approach to build this up.