Help me make a hard decision - should i sell or should i stay?

Background -

Bought about 5 years ago - first time buyer - swindled by the realtors - they took advantage of my ignorance about the process.  Overpaid by at least 18K then had a score of issues after moving in - heat and air was bad (although it passed an inspection - ha) I wont belabor it but I've had to spend a lot of money (visions of the Money Pit movie).
The neighborhood is in decline - established owners dying or moving - houses selling for nothing - renters moving in and not taking care of yards - example only 1 in 4 houses looks presentable - almost 1/2 of the people that lived here when i moved have moved out. 

And last but not least - the house is on a busy street - no sidewalks - you cant really walk down the street- always having to walk up into a drive way to avoid a car.  And I had run in with a neighbor - our dogs got into it - now its uncomfortable to say the least.

I've wanted to move for a long time but i knew i would lose money so i was going to bide by time.  Plus I wasnt sure where I wanted to move to.

So I need help making the decision - should i stay and wait out the market so that i can break even - who knows when that will happen with neighborhood in decline.

Or should i go ahead and move - taking a loss but getting the things i want out of house?

Is happiness more important than living in a neighborhood you despise?

• August 04 2013 - US
  • 0

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience and your neighborhood/neighbors ended up this way. 

You do have choices. For one, you can possibly rent the home out depending on your current financial situation and ability to buy a second home.

I'm not sure where you're located, so it's hard to say how your market is doing. The rates right now are very low and you could possibly be in a good position to buy what and where you want. 

You may end up taking a loss on your home, but if you can afford it and it means you're happy, it may be your best bet. 

Again, a lot would depend on your own finances, your home's worth and the home you would want to buy. There are definitely more variables in this than just not being happy and moving. 

I truly believe if you're unhappy, do what it takes to be happy. Life is short. 

Cecilia Sherrard
RE/MAX NE Ohio
216-323-4620
http://www.YouShouldOwn.com

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
Why does EVERYONE state they get screwed by the Realtors???

I prefer swindled v screwed - to answer your question - maybe because it's true?

In those days ethics weren't at the forefront. This sounds like a definite sell. Your descriptive explanation made me hate the house! Shop your agents this time best of luck to you...