Profile picture for dylantanaka

Hiding E-mail Address From Spammers

Zillow should have a link on our sites that says "e-mail me" or "show e-mail address" instead of showing our addresses. It would look just like our fax numbers look on our Zillow Agent Profile page. There are programs out there that robots search for e-mail addresses and addis to SPAM lists.
  • January 08 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Blue Nile
  • Your Email address is  NOT visible ANYWHERE on this website.  You are deceiving yourself.  You are looking at your "PRIVATE" profile view.  You need to click on "public view" if you want to know what others see.
  •  
  • Of course you can see your Email address.  It is your "log-on" for your user account.  But no one else can see it besides Zillow staff!
  •  
  • But obviously since you linked your website, and you posted your E-mail address there, any "HACKER" can hack into your account, and can log in as you, and change anything they like on your listings and on your profile page.  It would take less than 10 minutes.

Profile picture for dylantanaka
I'm sure this is dead Pasadenan but the site I'm speaking of is my Zillow Premier site.  My e-mail address is in plain view.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I've flagged your post for Zillow moderators to review.  Please read the "good neighbor policy".  Posting your website address is NOT allowed on the forum.

And obviously you didn't read my post... bots automatically strip out superfluous characters.  And as I posted, your E-mail address is NOT posted on this site.  Zillow doesn't even allow bots to use their site, except for search engine crawlers.  Zillow automatically blocks the IP addresses of any party that tries to access multiple pages in very short time frames, except known search engines.

See the Zillow Terms of Use.

Profile picture for dylantanaka
Pasadenan, [Content removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy] I can see my email address at the top and bottom left. I've thrown brackets around the @ symbol but that stops viewers from clicking it and being able to send emails without removing the brackets.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I am baffled where you think your E-mail address "shows"... did you click on "public view" on your profile page?  It doesn't show there, it doesn't show on your listings.  Instead it has a "contact" button, and the E-mail you receive is from Zillow, not the ones that clicked on it.

Zillow has always been very good about not letting spammers collect E-mail address on the site.  And if one chooses "no contact", they can't even send E-mail through Zillow either.

Of course, if you respond to an inquiry, then the party has your Email address.  But you could call them from the fax phone if you really want to throw the inquiring party off.

As the Email address is used for the user account and log-on, of course Zillow is protective of the E-mail addresses.

The "problem" is your own website, as the E-mail address is listed right at the top of your webpage, with only [] around the "@" sign, which are easily stripped out by any bot collecting Email addresses.

By the way, if you posted your Email address in a discussion thread, Zillow moderators will delete it.  Zillow does not allow using their forum to build SEO nor to create free advertisement.  People can always click on your user name, and then your "contact me" button on your profile page if they are interested in something you posted.