Profile picture for Meisela

Higher end homes ...

A friend of mine asked for my advice on selling her beautiful property , in the horse-country . The property is on 22 acres , with a great barn and stables ( rent it out ) , and an over 7 K SqFt house , however , she doesn't want to have it listed with an agent (  she doesn't want the tenants to be alarmed of a possible sale ) . She mentioned that is worth it 5 Million , but there are no recent comparable properties for years. Any suggestions ?
  • January 14 2010 - Charlotte
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for natewolf

First of all, you can control the availability of the MLS information on the property in the system. You can opt-out of signage, inclusion in the IDX and many other ways. But if they are serious about selling they must list the property. Otherwise they will never attract a buyer.

Unfortunately the tenant will eventually be notified. There is a way to explain to the tenant that they do not need to fear being kicked out as there is no way this property will sell overnight. So the fears of the tenant being alarmed are unfounded.

There can be pre-approved buyer appointments with the listing agent to attend the viewing-- and no 'last minute' showings of any kind. This usually cuts down on any phone calls.

Most clients looking for horse farms or million-dollar properties are very understanding and yet, if they are represented by a Buyer Agent, that agent is looking for listed properties First & Foremost.

Call me if I can help. At least to talk about and explain the options for a discrete listing.

As for the valuation, with unique properties it's not about comparing it so much as what the buyer is willing to pay, and what the seller is willing to sell for-- because somebody that wants to buy this home is not really that worried about the appraisal value-- if they love it, they will pay for it.

Intractable. Some problems cannot be solved without serious compromise.

I think that if you go to a real estate agent, they are likely to recommend that the best way to sell the property is to make its availability known. It is how we sell our own properties, for goodness' sake.

Anyway. My friends would not deny me at least an open listing, so that if I brought a ready willing and able buyer, I would get paid. I would determine for myself it the property could bring anything near five mil, and if I thought it was salable, I would market it with appropriate vagueness - 20+ acre horse farm with 18 BR / 19 BA house some rough number of minutes from someplace.

Profile picture for Meisela
She wants it low key , and no MLS . I am thinking of a web-page just for that property . Any other ideas ?

If she can't have an agent because of the potential of losing the tenants, how can she show it?   

Profile picture for Meisela
Actually , she won't have a problem with showing it , however she is afraid to lose the tenants ...

She needs to work with an agent... and she needs to be upfront with her tenants.  I's hard enough to sell a $100,000 house with tenants ... but it would be impossible to sell something for 5 mllion!  No buyer is going to want to buy a house they can't see.  That is nutty. 

She can have her tenants and her agent make arrangements for showings that satisfy all parties.  She could offer a bonus to her tenants if the home sells fast or for a good price... for keeping it in showing condition.  

To be honest depending where the property is .. she may not have more than one showing a month anyway.  I think she needs to be realistic about marketing a property.

Profile picture for dkomlo
If she would like an Agent to help her, contact an Appraiser.

Deb