Hiring a Contractor?

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) is alerting California consumers who are considering hiring a painter, landscaper, or any other type of construction contractor that it is illegal to ask for or accept a down payment of more than 10% of the total home improvement contract price or $1,000. whichever is less.  A person should never pay for work before it is completed, or pay for materials before they are delivered to the property.  Make sure the written contract contains a progress payment schedule that outlines project phases, with all costs and estimated completion dates.
  • August 19 2013 - Fremont
  • 1

Here's the other side:
As a Contractor I am constantly taking a chance with people I don't know.
It is nothing for me to dump out 3-5K on certain orders, mind you since this job ( the one I am doing for the order for ) hasn't started yet.
I still have purchases on existing jobs, paydays, and my personal bills, overhead that I have to pay at the same time... All V.A jobs are 100% till finished.

So as a Contractor there are certain companies  that require 100% percent down on all orders at the time of the order. So am I going to order 15K in cabinets without a deposit from someone I don't know...NO I am not. There is paper work involved in the transaction and that is how it will be done.
And that is how your monies is covered.

To say that anyone who pays or asked to pay 1K down...look out !  Well all I can say is I'm glad I don't live in CA.

The other thing is about materials stored on the job site, not all Contractors do that ,  I store materials at my office site where I can see them and take care of them till they are needed at the job site. I will not take the chance of theft , or an assumed theft and make a unneeded claim with my insurance company plus the delay on account of it.

If you have a questionable feeling about your Contractor... Dont hire him.
I have many referances, a web site and 27 years of doing business in a 60 mile radius if that isn't good enough for a referance then Don't hire me.

It's more than I have from someone I never have worked for.
As for Clients ...I think I have the best in the area.
So before everone starts trashing Contractors ... well...there's just a little what we have to go through...and there is alot more.

Sorry about the venting but these things are things you need to know about the Contractor you hire.
It's a hard life style and is a very stressfull one, normal people couldn't handle it...I promise.
-Joseph-