Profile picture for Lostingalloway

Home Builder question

My wife and I building a new home in the central ohio area. Our Move in date is late september of this year, The Problem and question is. For the past month or so we have been trying to get a dig date for the foundation from the builder.For the most part all we are being told is next week we will have it for you, until this past week we was told it would be 2 weeks before we heard. that is from the rep.

Talked to the area foreman and he told us it wount be until the end of august before its started. Which is less than a month to build the new home after we were told it would be a 2-3 month process to get it built. So we are confused, when we asked our rep and the coorprate office about it they tell us otherwise and dont know who the guy we talked to is even tho he is listed on the site as being in charge.

Should we be worried about our home being built on time? Sorry its so long winded.
thanks for any help.

• June 03 2012 - Galloway
  • 0

In my personal experience, delays are for one of four reasons:

Weather - Somewhat obvious if it happens

Funding - Different from "financing". Our first house, the builder started to overrun costs, and so the banks wouldn't release additional funds until certain conditions were met. In our one owner-build experience, the bank was very upfront about the possibility that we (the owner/builder) would have to pony up funds if cost-overruns occurred.

Inspections - Failed inspections can be ugly. Not only does it require additional work, but it also requires potential juggling of sub-contractors, as well as scheduling subsequent re-inspections/

Sub-Contractors - Sometimes, getting the subs onsite (especially if you had them scheduled but had to push them to the right because of prior delays) can be difficult.

Delays are part of the construction process. I can, to a degree, understand the builder's reluctance to share too much information about delays and/or construction issues. However, they should be willing to share at least the general situation with you - especially if you don't appear to be trying to get "schedule guarantees" from them.

Typically, my experience (when buying new construction) is that you won't get a real commitment to a finish date until you actually get a closing date on the sale.

Profile picture for Lostingalloway
I understand there can be delays, weather, supply shortage etc. My main cconcern is lack of explanation. They dont give us a reason for delay, just that there is one. Finacing and permits are all taken care of so I dont see it being that. Just first buyers stresses is all it is most likely but cant help worrying a little. We have a couple of options if its not done, but really dont want to use em if it can be avoided.

Yes, you should be worried.

First, it sounds like you are buying a new home that is in the process of being built, not doing the actual building (i.e., owner build). That means that your house is being built on someone else's schedule, not yours. (Note: Even if it was "on your schedule", you would find that there are always delays that push things to the right.)

Second, you're already seeing significant delays. It is unrealistic to expect that these delays won't result in the home not being ready on the original target date.

Third, schedule delays always seem to generate more schedule delays. This is often due to the need to work with the scheduling of the sub-contractors.

However, this is all "just part of the process". So, try not to get too flustered and be sure to have backup plans for where you will stay. My first purchase slid 8 months (small builder, funding issues). Others have been much less, but have still slipped.

My husband owns a small lumber yard and so I have some knowledge in the building business.  Building always takes longer than what you think it will.  The weather plays a huge factor as to when the basement can be dug.  If the person putting in your basement gets behind due to bad weather it has a dominoe effect on everyone.

I am sure you are eager to move into your new home, but the best words of wisdom I can give you are to be patient.  The most important thing is to have a quality built home when it's all said and done. 

Do you have a place to stay if your home isn't finished on time?

You should have one main contact person, find out who that is and talk to them.