Home Seller acting as Seller's agent AND Buyer's agent?

I have found information on dual agents with regards to one agent representing the seller and buyer. I cannot find information however, on the seller of the home acting as the seller's (their own agent) and buyer's agent. In this circumstance, I am the buyer. So far, my agent has not given me any reasons not to trust her. That said, my home inspector sent a copy of the report to my agent (even though we specifically discussed them NOT sending my agent a copy). As a result, my agent has informed me that they plan to fix the issues (minor problems). Should I worry about this? What should I do?
  • November 26 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for nwhome.us
I'd be very concerned. 

In Washington State that scenario is not allowed in our MLS rules so as a member of the MLS she would breaking them. 

It is absolutely fraught with conflicts of interest and opportunities for a professional to take advantage of a naive buyer.

You honestly need your own agent to represent your best interest ESPECIALLY if this his the agents property!

I am not saying she is a dishonest person but you will always have questions if things were done correctly down the line, even years from now.

I represent buyers all the time and it is normal that I see a copy of the home inspection, because I have to know what repairs to negotiate for my client. If this agent was sent a copy of the home inspection against your wishes your privacy has been violated.

You should really consider your own representation before you go any further. Did she tell you she was the owner from the beginning?

The seller is a real estate agent representing themselves. They are also representing you?  I would be concerned.  You have absolutely no one looking out for your interests plus you have an agent assisting you who has a financial interest in the sale of the home.  Not a normal situation.

Do you have an attorney? Because she is dual agent and this is " her" property-- the broker of record should step in at this point

Before your buyer agent wrote the offer, I am sure that you looked at the deed of the property you want to buy.  Is it owned by your buyer agent?  Secondly, if your buyer agent is the listing agent of the property, she was supposed to disclose that to you and you were supposed to have signed a document,  Dual Agency, that explains the new role of the agent.  Has all this taken place?  Regarding the Home Inspection, if you did not authorized the inspector to send copy to your buyer agent, then he should not have done that. You ask "What should I do?"  Clarify your agent's role in your transaction.  If she is your buyer agent, she had no right to negotiate what you want to ask the sellers to do as a result of the home inspection without your authorization.  I believe you need to have a long talk with your agent.   

I may be misunderstanding your question...  My apologies if that is the case.

But, why would you want the Home Seller to act as your agent?  I am going to guess that they don't have your best interests in mind.

Is there a financial consideration?  Because, in general, the Seller is the one who pays the Buyer Agent (who represents you...).