Home Staging can shorten market time and help you get higher offers according to RESA.

March 19 2010 - Temecula

Best Answer
I ran some searches and did not find the reference.  However, I did find this.  Which shows the 17% stat was alive and well back in 2007.

As I said on the other thread - two things I believe

1) I do not believe (have not been able to find) an unbiased, third party, statistically rigorous, nationwide investigation on the impact of staging on home sales has been done. 

2) Based on my personal experience, feedback from agents and investors, and experiences reported by other stagers and agents who use stagers; I believe if such a test were done, the results would show the impact of staging on home sales is greater than the stats used today show.

We always get comments from other realtors why we're so lucky to get great looking listings.  Well, we have the seller's follow the stager's advice and then we take great photos and video followed by extreme marketing.  I was originally skeptical to staging but now we do it pretty much with every listing.  It's a great investment but I do not have any hard facts exactly how much faster or for how much more it will sell for.  It just works so much better, we think.  

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Can anyone present the HUD report to substantiate the 17% number? Nearly every staging website throws this number around, but not a single one contains a link to the HUD source.

http://www.dear-home-stager.com/Home-Staging-Statistics.html

• A staged home will sell, on average, 17% higher than an unstaged home. (US Housing and Urban Development)
  • Sellers who spent $500 on staging recovered over 343% of the cost when they sold their home. (Homegain.com)
  • In controlled tests selling identical homes professionally staged vs. those not staged, the unstaged houses sold in 102 days, the staged houses sold in 45 days! (RealEstateStagingAssociation.com)
  • It is estimated that only 10% of home buyers can visualize the potential of a home.

I tried and it wouldn't me publish. I'll try again.

Cynthia:  When you posted the same information before, we asked for links to the original articles so we could review the stats.  Is there a reason you are unwilling to share?

Excellent link, sunny.

I've given it a lot of thought.  While I like the idea of being a Zillowian or a Zillite, I fear we are a bunch of z-its.

As a word of explanation, I posted twice because the original post had my location wrong. Thanks for the input folks.

I prefer to call my self a "Z-girl"

I can say that posting the same thing one day will not get you a following here on Zillow. People will tune you out. Zillowians (Zillowites or the Z crowd) like information. How about posting the top 10 things people can do to stage their home for sale like this here. Tell readers something other than recommending an industry wholesale. From what I have seen, stagers who are successful on this site and get business from it are friendly, helpful with offering suggestions and professional.

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Not bitter, just pointing out that RESA is not an objective source for stats supporting the value of staging. Also, I've seen the stats, and they're full of holes.

That's not to say that good staging doesn't have benefits. Just that your promo would have more substance if it wasn't solely dependent on stats presented by a biased source.

As has been oft said..."There's lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Why so bitter? I am simply offering advice suggested by several sources indicatimg that home staging can improve your results. You certainly can choose not to use the service but a lot of people do and have grerat results. 

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
"...according to RESA."

It's nice to know that the Real Estate Staging Association believes that staging has value in the home selling process. While I will not argue against the merits of staging, your post would be more compelling if it (a) provided some hard numbers and citations, and (b) came from a group that did not havve a vested interest in the finding.

Otherwise, it sounds just like a NAR post....blah, blah, blah. It's not like you're the first stager posting on Zillow to tout the benefits of staging.