Profile picture for kunal2mishra

Home improvement experts

I recently purchased a home on a 203K loan, so I already have a contractor on board and he is very nice. I am lookng for an expert who can come in and look at the basic improvements that I am getting done and advise me on some do's and dont's that would help appreciate the value of the house.
For instance : flooring (I think wood adds more value than laminate or carpet)
tips about closet space, should i put a brick front - any pther upgrades that can add value to the house.

Does anyone know someone that I could contact. I dont want another contractor I need an expert.
  • September 27 2012 - The Heights
  • 0

Profile picture for kunal2mishra
Eddie Perez - SHuld I be calling an Architect or an interior home desingner who can suggest me if after taking down that wall (which i think will turn it into an open concept) is really doing what it should be doing. And will gove the right look appeal.  

Contact listing agents in your immediate area and seek their advice.  Good luck with your project.

Open concept living-kitchens are quite popular now and are well received as long they work into the overall flow of the home.

Profile picture for kunal2mishra
I tend to sell the house may be in a  year, until then will be primary residence. Its a two family with a big basement.

Does anyone know if an open concept living-kitchen is prefered to a traditional seperate one.

Awesome questions.

The first question I would ask you is "how do you intend to use the home?"  What essentially is your strategy, primary residence, rental or combo of the two?

The quality of your materials, fixtures and improvements for your own personal benefit may be different than if you were going keep it as an investment and not live there.

If you're keeping the property as an investment, I would factor in overall area market values as you can over improve a property to the point where you will never recoup your investment.

Second question would be "how long do you intend to hold onto the property?"  Planning to sell within 1-2 years or 15-20?  Certain improvements have lasting value while others depreciate rapidly.

I totally agree with JoEllen that it may be best to consult with an experienced REALTOR.

Advice from someone who views hundreds of properties a year and works with buyers and sellers on a consistent basis can offer you valuable insight into what works and where to best utilize your budget for maximum gain and/or enjoyment!  This has to be within the context of your goals for the property.

Hope this helps!

Eddie

I would recommend contacting staged homes new jersey. You can find them on-line. They should be able to provide good insight into preparing your home to sell, or simply staging to live. Good luck

It all depends on where your home is. Is it a single family? multi family or a condo/townhome? Of course local realtors would know what appeals more to the buyers in the area. Kitchen (Granite counter tops), bathrooms, and finished basements with open floor plan are a few of the upgrades that buyers look for. Good luck!

I would suggest contacting your real estate professional as that person will know the market better than a contractor...as far as what will get you the biggest bang for your buck when you sell.  best of luck