Home inspection

Just signed a deal for a property... home owner is selling the house as is, and i am well aware of that... just want to see what thoughts are.... should i forgo an inspection, or seeing as its as is, should i get it done later or see where the day takes me when things pop up... I plan to do some major remodel so a lot of walls are going to be gone and opened up... thanks zillow team!!!

• August 04 2012 - Austin
  • 0

Best Answer

Never buy a home without an inspection. I had a buyer that was going to buy a flipped home and was going to buy without an inspection but I insisted they get an inspection. Low and behold although the home looked great, it was one of the worst inspections I have seen. Nothing was done to code, it was a cosmetic remodel and tuened out to be a real nightmare.

Always get a Home Inspection. Does not cost a lot of money, and then you know what priorities you will need to tackle first. 

Got the inspection schedualed for this week... thanks for the help everyone

As is sale or not, you need to know what you are dealing with before you finalize your offer. As is does not relieve that seller from basic disclosures in most states and it does not mean that you cannot further negotiate the price based on your inspection if issues are found that are beyond what was known.

An inspection on an as is house is even more important than on a house with an implied warranty or full seller disclosure. Protect yourself by getting the house inspected and also consider asking the seller for a home warranty to give you some protection for early repairs of functional systems.

Inspections are always a good idea.  They never are a bad idea!!  I've had some beautiful homes that had inspections and the inspector found some major problems!  Things might look ok on the outside, but it's always a good idea to know what you're buying into! 

Usually "as is" means that the owner won't do repairs should any come up in the inspection.  However, if there are some major things that come up, you might not want to buy the property at all and this is your choice!  I always recommend an inspection and get it done right away!!

Don't your hear??? Get the inspection!
Trust me, if you live in Florida that lifetime warranty is good for the life of the paper sitting outside in a hurricane. Plus your repair company will no doubt NOT be here.
NEVER trust anybody in real estate. Pay the $400 walk with the inspection it should take about 4-5 hours. Then either negotiate the house price down to pay for it or walk away!
LISTEN to everybody or you will live in hell as long as you have that house. Better yet, rent the movie: The Money Pit.  THAT is what you face w/o an independent, not recommended by anybody your know, check Angie's List or BBB.

yes DO an Inspection

Never buy a home without an inspection.  Buying a home 'as is' does not mean you forgo inspection.  It just means whatever you discover is yours to oown.  Don't you want to know upfront what potential issues exist?  Of course you do.  Remember this, too.  Whatever the seller or buyer wants means nothing if the lender won't finance your property or if you can't get a c/o.   No c/o, no closing.   The home inspection is well worth the money.  

[Promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Noooo!!!! Do NOT purchase a home without doing an inspection. The last thing you need is additional "surprises" that you did not budget for. Whether it is for an investment or for your personal home you should never purchase a home without a professional inspection. The cost of the inspection can easily be justified when you consider the amount in headaches and additional repair expenses that the "surprises" will cost you.

When we retired to Central FL Orlando in 2005, my wife insisted on a house. I have a breathing problem that has completely and permanently disabled me. We found a house; of course, in those days houses here had 5 contracts on it the same day it was listed. I had the house inspected 4 TIMES by HVAC, termites, water, mold, roof, you name it. Had it done 4 times for in Florida never believe the Builder, the Inspector, your Morgage, and finally  your Realtor. All reports came back perfect house, sound, well done purchase. I was there for all of them. The longest inspection took was 23 minutes and he was moving and sweating even though it was September.
Bottomline: within the next 18 months and $106000 the house was sound, no mold, no roof problem, no walls covering water, and the wiring of the house? Well had to get a new breaker box seems this one was out of code (only one found that). But I in 7 years we have lost 32 of those Chinese made twirl bulbs; so we just stocked up on the old style. Then of course the market crashed and now my $350000 + $106000 repaired home is worth $153000 and has been since 2008. Now I do my own investing so I talked with my mortgage BANK (one the top 12 of course at the bottom of the 12) and with all the government programs the best they could be would be to RAISE my rates. 4 years later, 22 Reps from this bank being faxed 54 papers to EACH one of them, I offered to buy the house at $200000. I would loose some, so would they. They refused last month. So went short. Sold in 3 days for full price approved by the bank: $180000.
Which PROVES nobody in real estate knows absolutely NOTHING>

Not getting an inspection is really taking a big gamble to save about $400.  If money is that tight it it may not make sense to take on such a project.  The thing is you never know what an inspector may actually find until the inspection is complete.  Unless you have a lot of experience in this area I definitely recommend getting one done.  There are just too many issues that can arise.

Best of luck to you.

I would get a home inspection before you buy the home. Once you close you are on your own.

Figured as much... Just wanted to hear thoughts... Settled the devil and angel sitting on my shoulder battling it out

Still do an inspection it is in your best interest.

Unless you regularly buy and remodel homes and know what to look for, I suggest you get an inspector in or you could end up taking on more of a major project than you had hoped. I would certainly want to know the condition of the things I can't see as was mentioned in the response below.   

Keep mind that a lifetime warranty on a slab is nothing but a piece of paper. A guarantee is only as good as the business promoting it and foundation warranties typically have so many loopholes in them that you could still end up paying for any additional work on the slab.

well let me refrain.. i overstated on the major... bathroom redone, and kitchen opened up.. i had a HVAC guy there and he said the system was good... there was foundation work done in 2001 and there is a lifetime warranty. not sure about the electrical, but all my friends are contractors and electricians and plumbers haaa... we should start our own business!

I would have an inspection so I knew what I was getting into.   Major remodels tend to be basically cosmetic but don't impact the core systems.  How's the foundation, the roof, the furnace, the electricity, the plumbing, are there termites etc?   Do you have those in your budget?