Home mortgage while 2.5 years left in H1B visa?

I am planning to apply for Home mortgage. I am in H1B visa. I  have around 2.5 years left in my H1b visa. My company has just started GC application process. 
My credit score is good. Can I get a Home mortgage loan?

Kumaresh Kalaiselvam
  • July 16 2012 - Cleveland
  • 0

Profile picture for Andrew Ginter
I don't believe there are any lenders lending without a green card anymore. The rule always used to be 3 years left on a visa to qualify, so I don't know that you will qualify for a conventional or fha loan. You may have better luck with a small back our credit union that will portfolio the loan, because they don't have to play by any rules other than their own.

yes, the H1b visa is acceptable for conventional financing. (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac)

Profile picture for John Burkel
[content by Zillow due to spam.  Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy for more details.] 

You can use a H-1B visa and can do it even when there are only 2.5 years remaining but there's a caviat.  Most H-1B's can go for 6 years and can be extended if a green card application was made and is either approved or pending and the application must have been made prior to the 5th year.  Your loan officer might need to explain how H-1B's work to underwriting but if you're 2.5 years our, have that green card app pending, . . those two things should combine to satisfy the 3 year "likelihood of continuance" rule.  For more, see this web reference:  [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for John Burkel
Hi Kumaresh,

[self promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Hello Kumaresh,

Yes. A lot of lenders will allow you to purchase as long as you have established credit. Not only good credit scores but "depth." Typically 4+ trade lines and if one of them is an auto that is a plus. I have seen loans close when the H1B visa is expiring three months before closing. Usually letters from your employer along with copies of renewal applications is sufficient for underwriters to approve. I think the key thing is working with a lender and mortgage company that are in the business to lending to individuals such as yourself. You are welcome to contact me through my profile.