Home type confusion

The title sounds funny but it happens. In the last few weeks did a couple of inspections on pre sale
homes that were not what they seem. A home listing will tell you alot but not always accurate only because somebody just did not know. County records are not always accurate either. The first home
was listed as masonry construction. Arriving at the home I could see why it was listed as masonry but
hey I am an inspector and right away things did not add up. Block masonry was visible below the
stucco line. Going around the outside of the home I found a crawl space entry and determined this is a wood frame home on stem wall foundation. By appearance these are just a row of blocks or block wall around the bottom perimeter of the home. The second home was listed as site built single family wood home. I found the same type of stem wall construction and it was a wood frame home. The difference this time is this home had all the features of a mobile home or modular. I talked to the agent and everyone refused to believe it was anything other than a standard home. I inspected the attic and found all the signs of a manufactured home. Split rafter systems,code and plug wiring,mass produced componets and joint connections. Finally spoke to the owner and he verified my claim and stated the home was brought in four sections and finished on site. I then pulled the property card and in tiny little letters and code found the word modular.So, just another reason to have an inspection. This simple oversight can be a game changer when it comes to purchase price,financing and insurance not to mention is this what you really want? Always verify what you think you are buying with an inspection.
In these two cases the buyers still made the purchase.
  • October 18 2012 - US
  • 0

Properties with Modular design have been gaining popularity over recent years.  Technology improvement in architecture, manufacturing and energy efficiency have made these homes substantially more appealing as builder designed track home and/or custom built.  As mentioned, sometimes hard to tell apart from a traditional stick home.  Modular construction may not be a negative in the end but still important to know.  As mentioned, just one more reason to have a home inspection.