Profile picture for mb1969

Home value...

I made upgrades to my home such as adding pool & spa and granite kitchen counters and appliances.  How can I get my home reevaluated?

August 20 2010 - Escondido

I assume you are talking about your Zestimate.  Zillow readily admits that its Zestimates are are only estimates based upon public informartion.  Don't worry about it

Unless you are about to sell your home the difference of worth has o meaning since the age and relevance to current updates vastly effects the increase in price due to the changes you have made.

I f you don't feel like hiring an appraiser, the easist way to get an accurate updated home value (cost) is to call a real estate agent in your area.  A Realtor can compare the value of your house with all the recent sales in your area.  Home values constantly change and it is difficult for web sites to stay current.  Real estate agents can also take into consideration all the upgrades on the property and factor into a more accurate value.

Most Realtors will be glad to give you a free CMA on your house in the hopes of one day earning your business.  To be on the fair side, you might want to tell them up front if you are not interested in selling your home and are just curious on your home value.

You can get an appraiser to appraise your property, however, that's going to cost you and they don't come very cheap.

Here's your other option, you can contact your local Realtor and ask them to prepare a CMA or Comparable Market Analysis for you. This report will include current for sale properties, current pending sale properties and recently sold properties along with other items. The report should give you an idea of the value of your home should you decide to sell.

Value is actually a relative term when it comes to real estate. Agents can give you a general idea of what your home is worth based on the CMA, however, the actual value of your property is worth what the next person wants to pay for it.