Profile picture for susieqsum69

Home was built in 1836 and foundation is settling. What kind of supports do I use in basement & CS

March 04 - US

Best Answer
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Hello!  I see that no one here has a clue for you.

While I may not have the answer, per se', I can direct you to a site that deals with nothing but old house issues.

Our member with the oldest house has a ca.1770 home in N.C.

Go to   https://www.wavyglass.org/index.php 
Those folks have done everything from stone & masonry work, to complete restorations.  They know (collectively) anything & everything you'll need. 

With a place that old...that website will become a fast friend. 

April 27
Don't know if you found a specific answer on the suggested site or not... but thought I'd post a few options anyway.

1) Though a bit expensive, it is always possible with raised foundation to have a house mover place I-beams under a house and jack it up, so that the existing foundation can be removed and replaced.  (One would need to disconnect the below grade utilities (sewer, water, gas...) ahead of time, and reconnect when finished).  Once the new foundation is in, the house mover comes back and lowers the house onto the new foundation, and you complete your bolting.

3) If only sagged in a few spots, and the foundation is good, and it fully settling (not still sinking), one can buy bottle jacks, jack the selected locations, and shim.  One can also replace selected posts if settling at the posts.

4)  If a tree was removed and the roots have rotted (or are rotting) out, it is possible to pump grout into the soil to stabilize it.  If one is choosing this option, one should probably contact a civil engineer, or a geo-technical engineering company.

5) If one has a river rock foundation, or a brick foundation, some people like to keep that appearance for historic reasons.  but you can't bolt to that.  Re-grouting sometimes helps keep the mortar in.  But in most cases, an additional footing is placed inside the aesthetic footing.  In other cases,  the footings are replaced, and the exterior of the footing is given a fascia.  If river rock, it is possible to embed the existing rock into a new concrete footing pour.

We've done the "lift the house" and replace the footings twice.  I'm now debating whether to do that for a third house, or to skip the "full replacement" and only deal with the selected problem areas.  On a 4th house,  just used temporary precast concrete piers, temporary floor girders (4x4) temporary posts, and bottle jacks, lifted 1/64"(just enough to get the weight off), then knocked out the brick foundation with a sledge hammer and placed in a low-boy roll-off placed adjacent.  Set the new forms, set the steel reinforcement, and had a concrete truck and concrete pump come, and used the hose to place the concrete where needed.  Sealed the form openings after the concrete was pumped and manually agitated (to get the air out).  In that case, the sill plates were drilled while on the temporary support and footing was removed, and the anchor bolts held by the sill-plate.  (Only the footing along one wall needed to be replaced, but this approach could be done in sections).  After the concrete cured, the nuts on the anchor bolts were tightened down.

April 28
Profile picture for susieqsum69
Thank you so much! I got on there , registered, read the forums for hours, & seems like much of it applies to my old home! I'm going to ask a lot of questions, & hope they don't get tired of me! Love the site & thanks again. 

April 28
Profile picture for BungalowMo
More than happy to share!  All of us on that site used to go to www.oldhouseweb.com.  That site has a long history with all us old house folks, but new owners took over a couple years ago & have let the spammers run amuk!

We were all so sad to see the demise.  But...one member built the new site & HE is sole owner & admin.  He squashes any offending spammers within minutes.

Wavyglass is gaining momentum & as more of us get pointed to the new site, more wonderful information gets added. 

Glad you went there.  Get yourself a login & ask away...they love newcomers & absolutely LOVE to help with any old house problems! 

April 28
Profile picture for susieqsum69
You are my hero!  Thank you for taking the time to share the site and message me. I will spend hours on this site learning and applying what I learn. I am on This Old House site and DIY sites, but the site you suggested addresses my old home issues way better!  Thank you again for sharing this.  Susann~

April 27
Profile picture for susieqsum69
You are my hero!  Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share such a helpful site! I will spend hours learning and applying what I learn!  I use This Old Houise and DIY sites, but the site you suggested was made for this old house of mine! Thank you again for this.  Susann~

April 27