Profile picture for Backnine15

Hot water pressure to the kitchen has gotten really bad over the last few weeks. Any suggestions?

• January 11 2010 - Greensboro

By now you should have solved the problem.  It could be something as simple as the cartridge/stem in the your faucet.  Check this first, do so by shutting the hot water valve off under the kitchen sink and disconnecting the hose.  Get a small bucket or an empty milk jug and use this to flush the water into.  If the water flushes into the bucket with an abundance of pressure then you can conclude that the cartridge/stem on your faucet is the problem.  However, I have found that in older homes, homes that were built the the late 50's and 60's the galvanize piping they use for the potable water system is the problem. 

Have an experience plumber diagnose. 

[Link removed by moderator]Did anyone actually read the question, He stated that the HWP in his Kitchen Sink is bad/Slow/Slower =  You need a new stem/cartrige on your HWS of you Fixture/Kitchen Faucet.    You will know when you need to replace your HWH  it will leak like a siff.   If you have a Electric Supplied HWH you can do maintence like changing out the upper & lower elements which is very cost effective.  Also I recommend HIGHLY gas, oil, electric, propane HWH Drain the complete tank once a year = increased life on any HWH.

Take my advise to the bank I have been in the Plummbing Trade for over 48 Years.  I know my S--t with our a doubt.

Many hot water heater will have an in line pump,  This pump/circulator can go bad over time. I would check if that is working properly before doing any major change like replacing the whole unit.  These pumps are easy to remove and replace.  Good luck

At first I was thinking galvanized plumbing that corrodes from the inside resulting in loss of water pressure over time. But you mentioned plastic white pipes. Is it Polybutylene (Pb) plumbing? This type of plumbing was used between 1978 and 1995. The resin becomes weak and pipe will leak without warning. Perhaps the piping is scaling off some of its pipe material from the inside. If yes to PB plumbing, stay clear of the house.

http://www.innovativehomeinspection.com

Profile picture for jimij15
I had the same problem-ended last week, in my case it was the need to replace the hot water heater, the point is one of the pipes that works in a hot water heter is a plastic (white), when the hot water heater gets old this plastic starts breaking down, cuasing small white pieces to go into your house's plumbing system, these peices then get stuck in the fixtures (your sink faucet, for example) thereby slowing down the water flow emensly, so if your hot water heater is 10 years old or so, its time to get a new one, but thats not yet the solution yuu will then have to dissassymble the faucet adn clean out all the white residue.
This is only a possibility not fore sure-based on my experience

Profile picture for AlexShek
Was any work done to your plumbing? If your house is old, you could have rust and/or old debris dislocated and stuck in the pipes.
You may need to: first, remove the aerator and clean it, second,  take the faucet apart and clean it with a fresh stream of water.
If it wails (and there may be many possible reasons for a pressure drop), call a good plumber.

I am a General Contractor, my home is 49 years old,  and had the same problem at my kitchen sink, cold side.
I know for a fact I had two problems.
One was the faucet . It had a pull out spray handle and I assumed it had sediment in it because it runs fine on the hot side, but then when I have it on the cold side the "rope" between the faucet and handle stiffens up. (Back Pressure)
So I ordered just the spray nozzle part of it from Kohler on the internet.
The other was the angle stop.
I took it off one time and was shocked by how much junk got built up in it.
I just took it into my workshop and cleaned it out and put it back on.
Hope this helps.
Both are pretty simple to repair.

If you have pinpointed it down to a single line, and do not notice this low pressure to other parts of the home, it is most likely to be in the lines itself. I would suggest running a new copper line, or pex piping to the faucet for the best cure. Homes with the galvanized piping tend to have build up on the inside causing the pressure to slowly decrease. It may be worthwhile to have other lines in the home redone as well.